[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Equity vs Pot odds - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Equity vs Pot odds

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Equity vs Pot odds

Postby Yearning » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 pm

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($5.35)
CO ($4.15)
Button ($3.40)
SB ($5.10)
BB ($31.10)
UTG ($8.10)
Hero ($9.70)
MP1 ($5.35)
MP2 ($9.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with [3c], [Jh], [Jc], [Ah].
UTG calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, 1 fold, Button calls $0.10, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.55) [7h], [3h], [9c] (5 players)
BB bets $0.3, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30, Button folds.

Turn: ($1.45) [Js] (3 players)
BB bets $0.3, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 raises to $2.6, BB raises to $9.5, Hero folds, MP3 calls $2.35 (All-In).

River: ($16.20) [2h] (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $16.20

The pot is $13.85 and its $9.00 for me to call allin.

I have 17 nut outs and know for certain that the BB has the nut straight(10,8) since I have played literally thousands of hands against him.

25/17 equals 1.5 pot odds so technically I can call $9 to win $14.50 with no implied odds to sweeten the situation.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1526650
pokenum -o 3c jh jc ah - 8s 9h tc 9d - 8c th kc td -- 7h 3h 9c js
Omaha Hi: 36 enumerated boards containing Js 9c 7h 3h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Jc 3c Ah Jh 13 36.11 23 63.89 0 0.00 0.361
8s Tc 9d 9h 1 2.78 16 44.44 19 52.78 0.292
Kc 8c Td Th 3 8.33 14 38.89 19 52.78 0.347

So if I called then $9.30 (.407) of a $22.85 would be mine since I dont know if the other guy will push or fold his remaining $2.35.

So how does equity differ from pot odds in determining whether to call a bet/raise?

In hindsight I guess had odds to call and would have won which p*ssed me off to no end. Shortly thereafter I get my nut str8 with nut flush redraw allin on the turn against what turns out to be a 3 pair hand. Guess who made his boat on the river?

Luckily Im good at repairing drywall... :P
U mess with the best, u get stacked like the rest.

Yearning is one of the best if not thee best microlimit PLO player in the world. -DymDave- (Renowned PLO Donk)
Yearning

Re: Equity vs Pot odds

Postby TomG » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:40 pm

You'd have to pry those cards from my cold, dead hands.

Do a google search for "odds versus probability" and read some of the explanations of how to convert odds to probabilities and vice versa. Others will be able to explain it better than me. Twodimes calculates your equity as the probability of you winning the pot. Most of the time you're calculating odds when you compare bets to the size of the pot.
TomG

Postby Felonius_Monk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:10 pm

Sheesh, yeah that's a horrible fold. Up against two straights you're bigtime +++EV to be doing whatever you can to get it all in on the turn, even.

I'm not sure I understand your question about equity and pot odds, though.... If you try to explain a bit better i'm sure i can help.
The Monkman J[c]

"Informer, you no say daddy me snow me Ill go blame,
A licky boom boom down.
Detective mon said daddy me snow me stab someone down the lane,
A licky boom boom down." - Snow, 1993
Felonius_Monk
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby GooperMC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Last edited by GooperMC on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GooperMC

Postby Yearning » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:42 am

Yearning is one of the best if not thee best microlimit PLO player in the world. -DymDave- (Renowned PLO Donk)
Yearning

Postby GooperMC » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:44 am

GooperMC

Postby Yearning » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Yearning

Return to Omaha