[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
If You Have An Out, You Have A Winner! - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

If You Have An Out, You Have A Winner!

No matter what you play or where you play it, if you want to record your day by day poker exploits, this is the place!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

If You Have An Out, You Have A Winner!

Postby MTPaid » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:59 pm

I guess it's time to start one of these, if only because I need someplace to rant. Either
I am on a really bad streak of luck, or I just suck. I'm going to be posting key hands
and bankrolls for the day and while I don't expect anyone to read through all of this
drivel, all comments are welcome.

Early Afternoon SNG $10+1 at Hollywood Poker......
Key hands

-I have AKu in LP and raise enough to get everyone to fold, but the BB. Flop comes
KQ? w/ 2 hearts. BB moves in with short stack. I am afraid of KQ, but I have him
covered 2x so I call. He turns over K w/ lower kicker with a flush draw that doesn't
hit and I knock him out. Iffy decision, but I had him covered and didn't think he had
2 pair or a set.

-With 109u in the CO I raised as 1st in and was called by BB, also the chip leader.
The flop and turn were checked to me. I bet the turn with a gutshot str8 draw, but
gave up when I was called and there was no help on the river. I could have moved
in on a bluff on the river, but if he calls, my tournament is probably over.

-With KQu in the BB I bluff at an A high flop vs. 1 limper. I sensed weakness, figuring
he would have raised with an A short-handed. As expected he folds.

-Interesting hand: I saw an A2o go all-in vs. KK and river an A to bring us down to 4
players.

-4 handed I find myself w/ AJu UG. I raise 3x BB and am called only by the BB. Flop
comes J7X. I move all-in. He calls. I'm done. Pocket 7's. I think I made the right
decision short handed especially since I was the short stack at that point.

Bad beats - 1 (Final hand - not for the fact that I should have won vs. 77, but
because we both happen to hit the flop very well heads-up.)

Result: 4th place
-$11

Next up is today's ring game.
Last edited by MTPaid on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MTPaid

Postby MTPaid » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:45 pm

2/4 Limit Hold'Em at Hollywood Poker

Key Hands

Hand A
-In CO w/ TT I am able to steal the blinds. (+$3)

HAND B
-In the BB w/ [Kh][Tc] we see an unraised flop 3 handed.
[8c][4h][Th] on flop.
I bet top pair, good kicker, one fold, and a Calling Station raises. I re-raise, he calls, and the turn is 2 handed.
[Jd] on turn.
I bet, not really sure what he has, but pretty sure it's not a Jack. I still think I have the
best hand. Think he is on a flush draw, but HE RAISES ME. I call really confused now.
[Kd] on river.
I got him now. I bet, HE RAISES AGAIN??? I call and he turns over ]Qc][9h] for the str8. WHAT THE !!!!! The Calling Station raised me on the flop w/ a gutshot draw then hits it
on the turn.
Result: -$24 BAD BEAT, but I think I played this one well.

HAND C
-In BB again w/ [9h][8d]. Pot is raised by Extra Loose who raises more than 10% in CO w/ 1 caller after and 1 limper before so I call and we see it 4 handed.
Flop: [9d][7s][6c]
Top pair w/ open ended str8 draw. I bet. It is called and then raised by the original
raiser who I now put on a powerful hand and I can crush him if I make my hand.
I re-raise to $6 and BOTH CALL!!!
Turn [4c]
No help, but $35 in the pot now so I've got to see the river. Let's get more money in there. I bet and they both call.
River [10d]
BINGO! I'm pretty sure I have it now. I bet, 1 fold (also Extra Loose), original raiser
pays me off and shows Pocket [Qh][Qc]
Result: +$34.50 Yeah I drew out on him, but I was in the BB and had odds the whole way.

HAND D
-[Kd][10d]. 1 limer in EP and raiser from last previous hand (Extra Loose) raises again, I cold call in MP and Button cold calls as well as both Blinds and the limper.
Flop: [Js][Kc][2s]
3 checks, bet by Extra Loose, I raise, call by Button (uh-oh) who I know nothing about, SB folds and everyone else calls. I think I'm in trouble here.
Turn: [9d]
Looks nice, but too late for the flush or the str8 for me. 3 checks in front though so I try
to represent the QT straight, but ALL CALL.
Turn: [8d]
I give up now. I know I'm beat. 4 checks to Button who bets. Extra Loose and myself call because the pot is $64. Extra Loose turns over [Qs][Qc] again, I show top pair,
Button shows [Kc][8h] for 2 pair.
Result: -$16.50 I made a mistake by cold calling because I wasn't paying attention and didn't see the raise, but I think I played it OK after that and while I concede that I should not have won that hand w/ 5 people in, how the hell does [Kc][8h] win???

HAND E
-[Kd][Kc] in EP I raise. One caller, different Extra Loose, and we see the flop.
Flop shows an A with 2 diamonds, but I bet and get called anyway. No raise means I'm still ahead.
Turn is nothing. I bet and get called again.
River is another diamond for the flush board. We check it down and I take the pot.
Result: +$12. No idea what he was thinking. Thought I played it the best way I could

HAND F
-[Ac][4h] in an unraised pot with 3 others. I call.
Flop:[Ah][6s][8c]
A very weak top pair. I check, 2 more checks and a bet from LP. I think he's trying to steal so I check-raise. BB folds, but then a Rock check-raises to $6. I have no idea
what the hell he has. Since he's a rock I don't think it's a str8 draw from MP with that board and I don't think he's playing a weaker Ace like that. I think he has a set of 6's. I'll never find out as we both fold.
Result: -$6. I think I played this as well as I could and lost the least I could expect to.

HAND G
-[Qs][Qd] in MP. I raise. Extra Loose in LP and Extra Loose in BB both call.
Flop: [Kh][3c][8s]
Always an overcard. EL1 checks, I bet, EL2 calls and EL1 folds. Now I'm pretty sure I'm ahead and he is just gonna call me down with A high.
Turn: [Ad]
Uh-oh. I check. HE CHECKS??? What the hell does he have. I'm still ahead here!!!
Turn: [8c]
Now I'm pretty sure I'm screwed somehow. If he called the flop he has to have something that could beat a pair of Queens at this point, but I bet anyway and he FOLDS!!!!
Result: +$10.50. I admit I was baffled by his play but I think I played this well. Still have no clue what the hell he had.

HAND H
-AA UG and I pound away on 2 callers with a relatively safe board.
Result: $16

HAND I
-[7c][7s] on Button. I smell a steal from CO so I re-raise to $6. SB calls??? We go 3 handed.
Flop: [4c]{Qd][2d]
Check, a bet, I call only, SB calls.
Turn: [9s]
Check, bet again, I fold. Possible flush draw, but I think I'm beat here.
Result: -$8. Ok, if your reading this, did I give up too easily here? Should I have raised the flop? I had no read on the CO, not enough hands.

HAND J
-[Qc][9c] in CO. 2 limpers ahead of me. I limp, OH NO, I hit the wrong button and raised....hmm....maybe it will work in my favor. Button, SB, and limpers call. We go 5 to the flop.
Flop: [Ks][4c][6c]
Now I'm here for the ride. Too much in the pot. Hoping someone caught the K, but it's checked through so I guess not.
Turn: [3d]
No help. Check, Calling Station bets??, fold, I call, Button folds, SB calls.
River: [Qs]
Not my flush, but since nobody bet the K I put SB on same flush draw and Calling Station on smaller pair. I think I have the best hand. 2 checks. I bet, only Calling Station calls (because that is what they do) and I take it down.
Result: +$28. I think I played this perfectly.

HAND K
-[Ac][Ks] in EP. I raise, only caller is an absolute ROCK in SB. THIS ONE REALLY BOTHERS ME!!!
Flop: [8d][7c][Kc]
MINE!!! Check, I bet, he calls.
Turn: [Js]
He bets??? I raise, he re-raises. I take a few seconds to stare at the screen and then fold. He is an absolute ROCK. I know he has to have TPTK beat, but how? Wouldn't he have raised with pocket J's? And ROCKS don't call with QT in the SB. What the hell did he have?
Result: -$14. Should I have fought for this one a little more? Every hand I turned over was a great hand, except for [Qc][9c] in the CO. Did he think I was bluffing? But he was a ROCK!

HAND L
-[Kc][Jd]. Rock from last hand limps. I raise on Button. 2 to the flop.
Flop: [7h][4c][6h]
He checks. I know he got no part of this flop so I bet, but he calls (flush draw)?
Turn: [2c]
He checks. I bet again and he calls. The odds are not there for the flush draw.
River: [9c]
We check it down because I really can't beat much with this hand and I don't think the Rock is giving up at this point and I'm not giving him a chance to check-raise the river with a set. He turns over [As][3s] and takes it.
Result: -$10. The ROCK limped with [As][3s] and called it down with a gutshot straight draw? What the???? I'm baffled again.

HAND M
[Ac][8h] I smell a steal from Extra Loose on the Button so we take it heads up.
Flop: [8s][Js][4h]
Middle pair. I check-raise and get called.
Turn: [9d]
Uh-oh. Not enough in the pot to call on a gutshot. I bet right out and get called.
River: [Qh]
I bet again trying to represent the str8 and get called. Extra Loose turns over [Qd][10d]
for the gutshot str8.
Result: -$16. Ok, am I just giving these people too much credit thinking that they wouldn't be staying in on gutshots all the time or am I just extremely unlucky today? I might have pushed this one a little too far out of frustration.

HAND N
[Kc][Qd] on Button. Calling Station limps, I raise, and only he calls.
Flop: [9c][8c][Ah]
He checks. I bet, he calls.
Turn: [7h]
I get check-raised. Pretty sure he has the str8, but I can't believe this just happened to me 2 hands in a row so I call.
River: [6h]
He bets. Now I know he has the str8 so I have to fold.
Result: -$14. I stayed in that one a little too long, but I'm having trouble believing I am being scored upon heads up every single time.

HAND O
I take Mr. Calling Station for $14 when I flop 2 pair and he calls me down. A small bit of revenge.

HAND P
[Jc][Js] Now picture this....Raise from Calling Station in EP. Re-raise from Semi-Loose Neutral/Unknown in MP. I cap it in the BB and we go 3 to the flop.
Flop: [5h][9h][Qc]
I bet, both call, but no raises. Either I am in the lead or they think I have A's or a set of Q's.
Turn: [Qh]
I bet again. CALLING STATION RAISES!! [Ah][Kh]??? A fold and back to me. I know I should fold here, but I need to see what he has so I pay the $8. The river is irrelevant. He turns over [Ah][4h] for the flush.
Result: -$22. He raised and called a capped bet with [Ah][4h] in EP and draws out on me for the 3rd time in the last half hour.

Played a few more and then I'm done. I've been flushed and str8'ed to death today. I can't see any horrible decisions I made although a few might be questionable. Am I unlucky this week or do I suck?

Final results:
119 hands.
-$54.00
-11.34 BB/100
Bankroll $402.45
Bankroll -$626.55 since I started using Poker Tracker.
Big Winner for the Session: CALLING STATION +$40 +9.09 BB/100 after 110 hands
Big Loser for the Session: EXTRA LOOSE -$76.50 -24.21 BB/100 after 79 hands
I was the 2nd biggest loser in terms of cash and BB/100 with over 20 hands.

Notes: I got KILLED on the Button (-.73 BB/100) but did best in CO (1.02 BB/100).
Best Hand to Date: AKo +3.15 BB/100 +$192 and KK +1.65 BB/100 +$172
Worst Hand to Date: K9o -.35 BB/100 -$83.50 and T9s -.61 BB/100 -$56
AJs, AQo, and QQ have all been unprofitable for me so far. QQ is the only high pair (88+) that has been unprofitable. QJs and K9s have both been profitable strangely enough.

I welcome any comments.
MTPaid

Postby EscapePlan9 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

EscapePlan9
Professional Donk-n-Go'r

Postby MTPaid » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:35 am

Thank you for the comments. I feel like I have to clarify that the labels come directly from PT Autorate using the Limit Rules from this forum. On the one hand I knew I made a mistake by calling with [Kd][10d], but I didn't see the raise in front of me that time and hit the call button. With the [Qc][9c] on the flush draw I didn't bet the flop when checked to because w/ 5 people there I thought there was a decent possibility that there was a better flush draw out there. I wanted to make it cheaply and then see who became aggressive if anyone. Some good advice though.
MTPaid

Postby EscapePlan9 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:18 am

EscapePlan9
Professional Donk-n-Go'r

Postby MTPaid » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm

MTPaid

Postby piersmajestyk » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Here are a couple of personal tweaks that I made for the autorate rules that you might want to consider changing. I don't think there is really much to rely on in the symbols themselves besides just giving you a quick heads up when mulittabling. The three numbers that I have showing are VIP, PFR and #hands.

My changes are for the Tight Agrressive and the Rock rating.

TA: VIP <= 19%, Flop Aggr. 1.5 or >, Turn Agr. 1.5 or >, River Agr. 1.4 or >
Rock: VIP < 14%, AF Total < 1
Last edited by piersmajestyk on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
piersmajestyk
Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby MTPaid » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:37 pm

Good idea. I'm going to tone down those Rock numbers a bit.

Evening SNG $10+1 at Hollywood

Key Hands - Done from memory so they may be a bit sketchy.

-Early on with K10o in the BB. An uraised pot has 4 see the flop of K44. W/ TP I bet $100 into an $80 pot and only LP calls. Q on the turn. Now I am fearful of 2 pair, but checking seems to weak so I bet $250 into a $280 pot and get called again. River is a 10. I don't think was calling with a straight draw so I bet $500 and he folds. Without the 2 pair I probably would have checked the river, but did not want to seem to weak. If he raises me at any point I'm probably done with it.

-Pocket A's 2 off the button and I raise pot size and get 1 caller. Flop is QT4. I am checked to and bet the pot and get called. He raised preflop so I am behind big time to TT or QQ. He may be on a flush draw w/ 2 clubs on the flop. Turn is non-club 4. He has me covered, but I move all-in here. Risky decision as he has me covered, but by checking I am giving him a chance to not only catch an extra card, but bluff me off it on the river. He folds.

-[Qd][Jd] in the SB. Only 5 people left and it is folded to me in what has become a foldfest with everyone waiting for someone else to drop out. I raise 3x the BB and get called. 3 undercards T high on the flop and I bet pot, he calls. Turn is a K giving me an open-ended str8 draw. I check (maybe a mistake), he bets minimum and I immediately call. River is nothing and he bets 2/3 pot. Calling with nothing would have crippled me. His bets were weak for the most part but all I could beat was J high. Maybe I should have pushed the turn, but I figured he was going to call me no matter what.

NOTE: I was dealt A10o 4x in LP, but there were so many players in the pot each time that it had little to no value. Dumped 2x, saw flop and dumped, and raised flop and took blinds late in tourny. This hand could get me in more trouble than it was worth.

-With J3o in the BB I check to 1 EP limper. The board came all low cards and he checked each time behind me. When the river showed a 4 I took a stab at it and he folded.

-The Big Stack takes down the last 2 players and it's me and him heads-up. First three hands I get 62,72,52 all offsuit. Crippling. I make very small comeback, but I can still barely afford the blinds. Last hand is my 76s vs his K2o. Flop comes 7KT and he fills up on T's on the turn and the river.

Result: 2nd Place
+$19

SNG Results since I started using PokerCharts:
-$94
-Win Rate: $-16.73/hr
-ROI: -57.32%
-In the Money 3x out of 7. 2 4th Place finishes.
***NOTE-I would actually be up money, but I mistakenly entered a $100+8 SNG last week thinking I was entering a $10 above it.
MTPaid

Postby MTPaid » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:11 am

2/4 Limit Hold'Em at Hollywood.

Another rough session. Did not get many hands to play and when I did, I was usually
either dominated or flushed.

Session Stats: 79 hands VP$IP 25% -$36.50 Total -12.01 BB/100 7.89% PFR 2.33 AF

Key Hands

Hand A
[Ah][Qs] in MP. I raise as 2nd in, only callers are BB and up front limper UG.
Flop:[6d][Qh][As]
Very good flop for me. Only a 4 out straight draw or a set is ahead and I don't fear a set or I probably would have been re-raised unless it was 66. Less than 50 hands with both opponents, but PT has them labelled as Calling Stations. I bet the flop when checked to and only the limper calls.
Turn: [8h]
He checks and I keep pounding as I can't see a legitimate draw out there. He must have a Queen in his hand as he calls again.
River [5d]
Pretty sure it's mine. He checks, I bet, HE GOES FOR THE CHECK-RAISE, but I'm not buying it. I re-raise, he calls and mucks the loser.
Result: +$25.00 I don't know what he was trying to pull on the river as I could not see anything someone would limp w/ UG that could beat my top 2 pair at this point. I thought about checking the flop, but wasn't giving a free card to the str8 draw. It worked out the best anyway.

HAND B
[Jc][Js] in CO. UG limps (no read), MP raises (Extra Loose 51VP$IP,8.33PFR,46WTSD) I re-raise and both BB and UG limper call 2 bets (BAD NEWS), original raiser caps it as we see the flop 4 handed.
Flop:[Ad][6d][Qc]
What can I beat here? I'm down to AK and KK, just about dead to QQ or AA which is all I could see someone capping the pot with. (Oh and by the way BB is ROCK over 60 hands with 10VP$IP). Capper keeps the aggression, but with $35 in the pot I call trying to spike a J on the turn. BB folds, and UG calls.
Turn:[2c]
I'm done. I fold when aggressor bets. Turns out aggressor has [Ks][Kh] and UG has a ridiculous flush draw with [Jd][8d] which he pays off when [8s] falls on river. IDIOT!!
Result: -$10 What could I have done different? Probably should have folded after the flop. I knew I was behind to just about any hand the capper could have had, but didn't realize right away that my 2 remaining outs could have filled out a straight or a flush. As it turns out [Jd] was already in someone's hand, but that's besides the point. I cost myself $2 on the flop.

HAND C
[Kh][Tc] in CO. 1 limp ahead of me (no real read), I call, Button calls (no read), SB folds, and BB checks (no read). 4 handed.
Flop:[Jd][5c][7c]
No help, but checked to me. I decide to try and take a stab at it. Why? I don't know. It just seemed like the right thing to do since it looked like nobody was going to get aggressive and I would have position if I could knock out the Button. It works as he and BB fold and the turn is 2 handed.
Turn:[9d]
It's checked to me and I keep the charade up. The turn wasn't very dangerous. I get called.
River:[3d]
I bet the river. He folds and my bluff pays off.
Result: +$12 I probably should have checked it down after the turn, but not a horrible decision as I felt that the only way I could win at that point was if I got him to fold and kept up the aggression. Not the brightest play ever, but it worked.

HAND D
Our old pal [Jh][Jd] in MP. 2 limpers ahead (no read), I raise, BB (Tight/Neutral Unknown 151 hands, 15.3VP$IP, 3.4PFR) re-raises. Both limpers call 2 bets???? and I call. At this point I know figure I probably need to improve to win. BB probably has me beat at this point, but he could have AK or TT.
Flop:[2d][10d][6s]
TNU bets, limpers call, I call now knowing that even TT beats me and I need a J, but the pot $31 and I have the [Jd] so both outs will help me.
Turn:[Qc]
When TNU bets out again I know he has me beat as I've never seen him be this aggressive without having something. Other 2 limpers call and I get out of there. He shows [Qs][Qh] and gets paid off with [5c] hitting the river.
Result: -$8 I think I had a great read and lost the least I should have been expected to. I was just unlucky here w/ JJ again.

HAND E
[Kh][Qh] in SB as we are 6 handed as table starts to empty. CU (Calling Station 75 hands 29.33VP$IP 8PFR 40.9WTSD) raises as 1st in. I hate calling raises in the SB, but I can't let this hand go short handed. I call and BB folds.
Turn:[10s][4s][4d]
Nothing for me here, but I don't think he raises w/ anything besides TT or AT that connects w/ this flop. Does he know I won't call with anything besides TT that connects with this flop? I take a shot and bet out. He only calls. I think I am ahead now.
Turn:[Ks]
I paired my top card. Now the only thing that could beat me is a flush, but it can't happen every single time heads up can it? I bet and he calls, but doesn't raise so I still feel good.
River:[Qd]
This could fill his str8, but I still feel good about my 2 pair. I bet, he raises. NO WAY, NOT AGAIN!!! WIth $34 in the pot my hand only has to be good 1 out of every 8 times so I call. I NEED to see it. [Qs][Js] for the flush. I should expect this now, it's only happened almost every single time.
Result: -$18 Nothing I want to talk about further.

I'm starting to get really sick of being dominated and flushed to death on almost every hand.

Final Results:
76 hands
-$36.50
-12.01 BB/100
Bankroll: $384.95
Profit/Loss -$465.75 in Ring games since I started using Poker Tracker

Big Winner for the Session: Ulatra Aggressor +$109.50 +37.50 BB/100 after 73 hands
Big Loser for the Session: EXTRA LOOSE -$71 -28.17 BB/100 after 63 hands
I was the 4th biggest loser in terms of cash and right in the middle of the pack BB/100 with over 20 hands.

NOTES:
I was worst in Blinds (-.64 BB/100 SB and -.72 BB/100 in BB) as well as 3 off the Button (-.5 BB/100)
I was best 4 off the Button in MP (.89 BB/100)
***AM I DEFENDING MY BLINDS TOO HARD???
JJ KILLED ME as I was 0-2 -$18 and -2.25 BB/100 in the session.

Once again, comments are welcome.
MTPaid

Postby EscapePlan9 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:23 am

EscapePlan9
Professional Donk-n-Go'r

Postby MTPaid » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:06 pm

Early morning SNG $10+1 at Hollywood

Key Hands - Done from memory

-First hand [Qd][Jd] flop comes [8c]x[10h] turn [8h] river [9h]. I have nut straight another person has nut flush. 3rd person has full house 98. I only lost $140 on that hand of a $1500 stack.

-[Qd][9d] in SB. 4 handed flop 9 high. I bet, am raised by big stack, and an all-in next. I fold and it ends up J9 losing to A9. My stack is diminishing without a real hand yet.

-JQu in CO. I have to move all-in as I am low stacked. Called by BB w/ K10 offsuit I have a gutshot str8 draw after turn but I'm out in 7th place when I don't improve.

NOTES: Couldn't get a hand. Only real hand was JJUG which I raised 5x the BB
and stole the blinds.

Result: 7th Place
-$11

SNG Results since I started using PokerCharts:
-$105
-Win Rate: $-$16.96/hr
-ROI: -60%
-In the Money 3x out of 8. 2 4th Place finishes.
***NOTE-I would actually be up money, but I mistakenly entered a $100+8 SNG last week thinking I was entering a $10 above it.
MTPaid

Postby EscapePlan9 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:28 pm

EscapePlan9
Professional Donk-n-Go'r

Postby MTPaid » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:07 pm

Thanks Escape, but I actually have a completely opposite train of thought in the
cheaper SNG's. I play almost any speculative hand I can get in cheap for in the
1st 2 rounds. Why? Because if I do catch something I might be able to break a player
or 2 who loves his starting hand. It doesn't matter whether you finish 8th or 4th in
these things. If I can get a big stack early on, then I can wait and push the blinds
around a little later on. When I connect with one of these I almost always make the
money.
MTPaid

Postby EscapePlan9 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:14 pm

I know it's enticing to play more speculative hands early on. Best advice I can give: just don't do it. After playing so many SNGs, I've realized it simply wasn't worth it. They end up being chip burners more than chip winners. You'll be in there hitting two-pair against someone drawing to a straight, someone drawing to a flush, and perhaps someone with a set already. It's just not worth it.

Check out a bunch of tournament guides (like from here: http://www.tightpoker.com/tournament.html) and you'll see they all agree with me: playing loose early on is a losing strategy. I mentioned Nash's post in the Single-Table Tournament forum. Also check out Dan Harrington's Volume 1 (and 2) NL Tournament book. Notice the common thread with early play.

Winning SNGs is fairly formulaic. That's why many online players will 3-table, 4-table, or even 8-table them. I used to 3-table and 4-table them. These players know they will be folding 90% of their hands early on anyway, so it's easy to multi-table them.

Chips change value as the tournament progresses. Early on, the chips matter very little. If you win a big pot and are up to 2k while the others are at 1k, you're still not that far ahead. With the blinds at 10/20 or 15/30, it doesn't matter if you have 1k or 2k. When the blinds increase to 50/100, then it matters whether you have 1k or 2k. And by not burning off your chips early on, you are more consistently going to be in better situations later in the tournament - which is EXACTLY where you need to be. Losing in 4th is the absolute worst.
EscapePlan9
Professional Donk-n-Go'r

100 Hands of More Misery

Postby MTPaid » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:00 pm

2/4 Limit Hold'Em at Hollywood

I'm pretty sure that I'm changing sites after my bonus expires, but for now I'm going to play it out. DISCLAIMER: Do not read if sensitive to whining and bitching!

Session Stats: 100 hands 17% VP$IP -$52 Total -13 BB/100 9% PFR 2.45 AF

Random Notes:
-For all of my bitching about JJ, I have realized that I actually have positive stats w/ this
hand. I win more than I lose.
Dealt: 24x Win: 54.17% Net: $11.50 BB/100: .12
After this session I am also now slightly profiable w/ QQ.

Key Hands

HAND #8
-[Jd][Jh] in EP. I raise, 2 players I have no read on call after me and both blinds fold.
Flop: [8h][8d][2h]
Not a great flop, but not horrilbe either. I have to lead out here as the preflop raiser and see if I get raised. 1 fold, 1 call.
Turn: [Ac]
I keep the aggression up vs. only 1 opponent and get called.
River: [6s]
No harm w/ this card. I think he would have raised me by now w/ an A or an 8. I think he has a flush draw he's going to give up. I lead out again. He calls and mucks it. Result: +$19.50 Wonder what the hell he called with if he couldn't beat anything above a pair of Tens on that board. What did he think I would raise w/ from EP that he could beat w/ that A on the board?

HAND #10
-[Td][8d] in BB. 2 limpers (no read), SB folds, I check. 3 handed.
Flop: [8s][5c][8c]
I never like to play trips slow. Too many ways you can get beat. Especially w/ the flush draw out there and the late limps could very well be low suited connectors that just flopped an open-ender or a flush draw. They are going to pay for it. They both call.
Turn: [2c]
Always seems like the flush is out there whenever I catch a big hand. I'm going to stay in attack mode until somebody shows me different. I also remember what I read in SSHE this morning about having 7 outs now to a full house. I get 1 call and a fold, but no raise.
River: [2s]
JACKPOT! I hit 1 of my 7 outs and I'm positive the worst I can do is split this pot, but I don't think so since I was never raised. I bet and he folds.
Result: +$12 Aggression pays off. I am gaining my confidence back slowly.

Hand #24
I'm not personally involved in this one, but I watch a 6 handed pot where a limper w/ [6c][5s] takes down a big pot against [2d][2c] limper with a board of [6h][6c][5c][2s][Jd]. Just unbelievable what people are playing and getting lucky with. Both players end up losing almost about $1 per hand played for the session.

Hand #28
[9d][7d] in SB. 5 way unraised pot.
Flop: [8c][7c][5h]
Not a bad flop. I have middle pair with a gutshot. I bet out, 2 calls, 2 folds. No reads on either opponent.
Turn: [3s]
Hmm...another flush board against me. Looks familiar. If I bet out, I can represent the flush and see if I get raised. 2 calls. I'm probably going to have to just check and call it down.
River: [6s]
Nice way to fill my straight. I know I'm beat. I'm not even going to pay it off. I check, followed by a check and a bet. I fold and the next person pays to see the [9s].
Result: -$8 Flushed again. More about that later. I think I did well to cut my losses in this one.

HAND #29
[Ad][Qc] on the button. How many of you HATE this one? Tell me this is terrible, but I don't think so. 3 limpers, a raise, a cold call, and I..........dump it. There are going to be at least 5, maybe 6 players in the pot, I would make 7. One other thing, preflop raiser is a Tight Neutral who I have played over 150 hands with. If he is raising with 2 limpers in front from MP, he probably has me beat already. I don't want to put 2 bets into this pot when I probably need a straight to win.
Result: $0 The hand is 6 handed and goes to the river w/ 3 clubs on board and no card higher than a 9. The preflop raiser turns over [Ks][Kh] for the win. Argue w/ me if you must, but I like my decision here.

HAND #31
[Jc][Jh] in MP. I COMPLETELY BLEW THIS ONE! 3 limps in front of me, I raise. A cold call from the button (a semi-loose neutral at this point, but would go on to become a semi-loose aggressive later, but he was not aggressive at all up to this point which was 49 hands), and the 3 limpers call. 5 to the flop which I HATE for this hand.
Flop: [4h][7s][3d]
At least there were no overcards. 3 checks, I bet, Button RAISES! Immediately I think set. 2 folds, then a COLD CALL? (Extra Loose 60VP$IP,2.38PFR,58WTSD,.6AF) I call.
Turn: [Qs]
2 checks and Button bets. 1 call and I fold it.
River: [6d]
Final Result: -$8 EL takes it w/ [Ah][6c] and semi-loose shows [Ad][Js]. Obviously I was wrong to drop this and my read was way off, but was I wrong to think set with the way this was played? Should I have re-raised the flop? Did I let the Button take control of this hand too easily? The EL calling it down all the way made me think that at least 1 of them had me beat. Was the extra $12 I had to pay worth it in the longrun with this hand or would I lose money? I'm probably going to be posting this one in the Limit Section for advice.

HAND #33
[Ac][Kd] im MP. 1 limper ahead, I raise, right behind me a re-raise (no read), a COLD CALL of 3 bets in CO, and a cap by the SB. THE LIMPER CALLS THE CAP! I call as well, but I don't like it. 5 to the flop in a capped pot if you can believe it.
Flop: [9h][7d][Qs]
SB check, limper (Calling Station 50WTSD 42 hands), I call for 1 bet still not liking it, a call behind me, and Button raises. I HATE this hand. Limper re-raises. I'm GONE! Raiser caps it. Somebody has a monster. 2 handed to the turn.
Result: -$10 They both flopped a set. A cold call of a 3 bet on the Button w/ [7s][7h] lost it to a set of 9's up front. I'm glad I got out of this one and saved money. Unfortunately it seems like I'm saying that way too much.

HAND #37
[Ah][4d] in the BB. The biggest SOB of them all. SB limps and we see it 2 handed.
Flop: [5h][Ad][4c]
Two pair on the flop. Did I mention that this is heads-up vs. the SB only? Can you see where this is going? Yet again! He bets, I raise.
Turn: [7d]
He leads out, I raise, he re-raises. You've got to be kidding me. AGAIN?! I call it. I have to call this down. Giving up is too weak.
Turn: [Qc]
I pay him off as he shows [8h][6c]
Result: -$22 You'd think 2 pair on the flop is a pretty good hand heads up vs. the small blind. Not on this site.

HAND #50
[Qs][Qd] in CO. A raise in EP, a cold call in MP (both no reads), I 3 bet, and both call.
Flop: [9d][Jh][9h]
I don't really love this flop, but maybe I'm slightly on tilt and I'm going to pound it when it's checked to me. Both call.
Turn: [Tc]
Not any better, but at least I have an open-ended str8 draw even though I'm dead to KQ. Checked to again so I bet. 1 fold and a call.
River: [7s]
He checks and calls it down, but doesn't show.
Result: +$25 I just wasn't giving this one up.

HANDS #63 & 64
I'm not involved in these hands, but 2x in a row someone 3 bets a multi-way pot with pocket 7's and flops a set winning w/ set over set. Strange.

HAND #81
[Ac][4c] in the SB. All fold to Button who limps in. I call and we see it 3 handed.
Flop: [4s][2c][Kh]
Backdoor flush draw, middle pair. I lead, BB folds, Button (Extra Loose 70 hands, 63VP$IP, 60WTSD) calls. I'm going to the river vs. him.
Turn: [Jh]
I bet, he calls.
River: [Js]
I check, he bets at it. I think and then call w/ my 4's.
Result: +$13 I shouldn't even embarrass him, but he turned over [5s][3d]?? If he would have hit that str8, my computer would have gone out the window.

HAND #98
[As][Js] in SB. 4 limpers, I call, BB checks. 6 to flop.
Flop: [9s][Kd][7s]
This is where I make it all back, right? I bet out and get 2 callers.
Turn: [10d]
Not what I was hoping for, but that adds 3 more outs with the gutshot. I lead out again and both call.
River: [7c]
I try to steal it, bad move I know. 1 fold, 1 call w/ [Kc][6s].
Result: -$12 What can I say?

NOTES: (or Odd Statistics)
-Out of 100 hands there were 6 seen flushes and 9 seen straights. There were others that were represented, but not shown.
-5x I faced a flush board (3 or more of a suit) - 3x someone made the flush.
-6x I faced a straight board (3 or more to a straight) - 5x someone made the straight.
-I was heads up w/ a single opponent on the flop 4x in 100 hands.
2x it was the SB.
1x there was flush board, but no flush.
1x the lone opponent drew a straight.
1x the lone opponent drew the flush.
1x the opponent sucked out to beat my A high with a pair of 5's on the river.
-5x I had an open-ended str8 draw either after the turn or flop.
1x I made my straight, but lost to a flush on the river.
1x nobody made the straight and I won with pocket Q's
-1x I had a flush draw, after the flop in 100 hands.
0 made flushes.

Final Results:
100 hands
-$52
-13 BB/100
Bankroll: $321.95
Profit/Loss -$517.75 in Ring games since I started using Poker Tracker

Big Winner for the Session: Loose Neutral/Unknown +$61 +38.13 BB/100 after 40 hands
Big Loser for the Session: Showdown Muppet -$77 -33.19 BB/100 after 58 hands
I was the 3rd biggest loser in terms of cash and 7th biggest loser in terms of BB/100 with over 20 hands.

NOTES:
I was worst in Big Blind(-.79 BB/100 in BB), but not too bad in any other spot.
I was best UTG+1 (.49 BB/100)
***AM I DEFENDING MY BLINDS TOO HARD???
QQ dealt 2x was most profitable +$31.50 +3.94 BB/100
AJo dealt 2x was least profitable -$24 -3 BB/100

Do you guys think it is just a run of bad luck or am I making some really bad mistakes?
MTPaid

Next

Return to Member Journals