[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Sklansky Bucks Question - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Sklansky Bucks Question

Want to know the odds of AA vs KK? What was the "expected value" when I reraised all in? Come find out!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

Sklansky Bucks Question

Postby DoctorHandles » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:01 am

Do I lose Sklansky bucks when I just fold in the BB?

Do I lose Sklansky bucks if I don't make it to show down?

Wondering for pokerEV, as I seem to have like 50 hand stretches where I don't gain or lose any sklansky bucks....
The better player should win the race. Always.
DoctorHandles

Postby Marm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:55 am

Well, there's a lot of depends there.

Depends on the action, the cards.

You earn sklansky bucks (another term for EV, since he pretty much forced the concept unto the poker community) whenever you make the correct play. You lose them when you make incorrect ones.
"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack." -Adam Morrow

I swear to God, next time I have to come back here, I'm bringing a stun gun and a weedwacker!
Marm

Postby DoctorHandles » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:44 pm

So if i raise to $4 preflop, and someone raises to $13 and I fold, do I gain or lose and Sklansky bucks?
DoctorHandles

Postby Marm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:09 pm

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack." -Adam Morrow

I swear to God, next time I have to come back here, I'm bringing a stun gun and a weedwacker!
Marm

Postby DoctorHandles » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:31 pm

DoctorHandles

Postby Marm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 pm

Probably not, but if you do some simple, yet lengthy math, and calculate the weighted odds of all his probable holdings based on your assumptions, then you can get a reasonably accurate equity for your hand, and therefore have a reasonably accurate EV/SB estimate.

Try this Excel File I made up a while Ago (Having Pokerstove is pretty much needed to use this) (Actual file is slightly different than screenshot, old version)

Figure out the different possible hands he could have, and assign a percentage chance of him holding each one. Figure out the possible number of combinations of each one (like if you think he's holding AA, and there are no dead Aces, then there are only 6 variations of AA). Then run Each possibility through PokerStove to get your equity. Enter each hand onto it;s own coloumn, and the chart will tell you your hands equity on a weighted basis.

Yeah, It's ong, tedious, and a pain in the ass. But if you really want to know where you stood in a hand, then this is the 'easiest' way to figure out how your intuition fared against the actual numbers.

';m not a fan of calculating exact SB's from known opponent hands. Anybody could make the right play if they knew their opponents' hands. You really make your money from being able to accurately asses the situation with what little info you have, and then act correctly. This chart allows you to quantify your intuition and reads and see if you actually made the right play in each scenario. The problem lies in how accurate your reads really are.

Marm

Postby DoctorHandles » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:35 am

I tried reading that then I just stared at your avatar.
DoctorHandles

Postby Marm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:41 am

Marm

Return to Odds