[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
typo in iceman article? - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

typo in iceman article?

Want to know the odds of AA vs KK? What was the "expected value" when I reraised all in? Come find out!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

typo in iceman article?

Postby FionnMac » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:28 am

hello, i've just read iceman's article titled 'handling bad beats' and there were a couple of thing that i noticed, not sure if these are typo's or miscalculations or what but just thought i'd mention them

In the 8th paragraph in the below link, look at the hand mentioned

QhJs v 8c6c and the flop is Kc-Tc-3s. then he says q-j is a 4-1 favourite. now, how can queen high be a 4-1 favourite over ANY hand despite the straight draw? i thought it would be roughly evens and checked and infact 8-6 is 51%.

Another thing....he says when u get it all-in with KK against JJ for $100 pot he wins $60 in EV terms. but since KK is roughly 80% here depending on suits, or 4-1, wouldnt it be around $80 EV?

Sorry if i'm out of place to be mentioning this in a my first few posts!

Cheers
PT newbie!!!
FionnMac

Postby Felonius_Monk » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:57 am

On the first hand you're right, on the second hand he's right.

If you're an 80:20 favourite, that means you'll win the whole pot 80% of the time, and lose it 20% of the time. Thus you'll win 80% of $200, which is $160, or a $60 profit on your original 100 stake.
The Monkman J[c]

"Informer, you no say daddy me snow me Ill go blame,
A licky boom boom down.
Detective mon said daddy me snow me stab someone down the lane,
A licky boom boom down." - Snow, 1993
Felonius_Monk
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby NorthView » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:18 am

I think I know what's going on here: you have a case of the "disappearing Ace". The article gives as an example Qh Js vs 8c 6c on a Ad Kc Tc 3s board. Your browser isn't displaying the Ad.

Do a search here for the solution to this. Sorry, I remember seeing it a few months ago, but can't remember where.
Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am
When I play a patient and relaxed game I win - that simple.

Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 pm
Seriously, fuck poker.
==================================================================

[21:03] NorthViewBTP: mac is a fellow mexican
[21:03] Mekosking: yup
[21:03] NorthViewBTP: you should support your bro
[21:03] Mekosking: therefore hes a fat worthless tsr obv
NorthView

Postby emmasdad » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:49 am

emmasdad

Return to Odds