[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
What are the odds??? - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

What are the odds???

Want to know the odds of AA vs KK? What was the "expected value" when I reraised all in? Come find out!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

What are the odds???

Postby Electrolux » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:52 pm

OK, hand 1. I get [8s] [9s]. See a flop, and flop the nut straight.
Hand 2. I get [8s][9s]. See the flop, and flop the nut straight. Not the same suits on the flop, but still.

Any math wizzkid that can give me the chance of that happening?

:-)

Maybe belongs in LC?
- Mexicans are filthy. I once blew a Mexican. I had diarrhea for a week. Sarah Silverman

Electrolux

Postby excession » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Well the chance of getting identical hands (including matching suits) twice in a row are 1326:1 (actually if order of cards is counted it might be twice that -but let's ignore that as you would have done)

The chance of flopping the QJT - 64 (4x4x4) ways to make out of 19600 possible flops -so 1 in 326

Chance of flopping them twice in a row is one in 326x326 = 106,276

So overall odds of two identical hands both flopping the nut str8 are about 140 million to one.

I can't help but feel that there is some form of observer-centric bias going on here - you could be posting this had any repeated hand hit any repeated flop and the odds of that happening are a lot less.
excession
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby Marm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Observers paradox.

The odds of this happening are now 1.

It already happened.
"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack." -Adam Morrow

I swear to God, next time I have to come back here, I'm bringing a stun gun and a weedwacker!
Marm

Return to Odds