[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Laying down the nuts on the flop - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Laying down the nuts on the flop

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Laying down the nuts on the flop

Postby emmasdad » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:02 pm

I am just learning PLO. I love it so far. Is this a correct laydown?

No reads on UTG+1.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed)

UTG+1 ($51.85)
MP1 ($23.50)
Hero ($35.20)
CO ($5.50)
Button ($17.85)
SB ($9.25)
BB ($6)
UTG ($9.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with [9h], [Td], [Jh], [8h].
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, CO raises to $0.75, Button calls $0.75, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.35) [Qd], [Kd], [9c] (4 players)
UTG+1 bets $3.2, Hero folds, CO raises to $4.75, Button calls $4.75, UTG+1 calls $1.55.

Turn: ($17.60) [4c] (3 players)
UTG+1 bets $16.75, Button folds.

River: ($34.35) [Jd] (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.35
emmasdad

Postby briachek » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:33 pm

i would not lay that down but i wouldn't raise either. Its a tough spot and if your read on the UTG player that he is solid, laying it down isn't too bad since you are splitting at best. with the dead money likely to be in the pot, you aren't just calling to split your own money but some others. This is marginal and shows the value of position. I could go either way here but to be honest, i probably call.

Folding the nuts is more when you have 56xx on a 478 board that has a flush draw and you have no hope to improve and there is a bet and raise to you.
Brian [Js][9s]
Anyone who gets in a fair fight, has no tactical skills.
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Aisthesis » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 pm

Aisthesis

Postby Kuso » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:23 pm

at the 25s, you probably aren't being free-rolled. my money would be on these hands (in order of likelihood):

- set
- same straight (waited for safe turn card before he committed)
- two pair or set with a flush draw

i'd call this bet on the flop and look to get it all in the middle on the turn.

fwiw, folding the nuts (esp. straights and sets) seems to me to be best when you get a lot of action on the flop (usu. by two other players) on a relatively coordinated board. one bet isn't that scary, and the raise from the short stack is nothing to worry about in terms of hand quality.
wwcrd?

"that basically sums up poker for me - 12" needle in the testicle." <nutkick> mvp
Kuso

Postby Aisthesis » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure whether my raising line isn't influenced by seeing the subsequent action here.

I agree that a flat call with big bet on a blank turn has a lot of flexibility--in addition to getting some dead money in there if anyone with less than made nuts folds.

Also, if you are getting freerolled, it's much better to get freerolled on a blank turn than on the flop. If they have JT with diamonds, they have 8 outs, so your equity probably isn't horrible on the turn. Something like AJT with no diamonds has fewer, and QQJT would have 9. But I really doubt these guys are that strong at the 25.

I also think laying down the nuts is also a bit of a deep-stack thing. If you're playing 25 and have $100 along with another tight player. You pot the nuts with no redraw and he raises you pot. If it's a LAG, I'll probably re-raise him back, but if it's a tight player, I'll seriously consider laying down at that point if I have no improvement chances. But on the improvement end, I might call to see the turn on something as thin as a runner-runner flush, since the turn will tell me if I have that redraw or not.

There are definitely situations where laying down the nuts is the best play, but I think you have to be pretty picky about them.
Aisthesis

Postby emmasdad » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:45 am

emmasdad

Postby briachek » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:45 am

Brian [Js][9s]
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Kuso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:21 am

wwcrd?

"that basically sums up poker for me - 12" needle in the testicle." <nutkick> mvp
Kuso

Postby Kuso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:25 am

Last edited by Kuso on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
wwcrd?

Kuso

Postby Kuso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:27 am

wwcrd?

Kuso

Postby Kuso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 am

wwcrd?

Kuso

Postby Aisthesis » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:11 am

Yeah, at the $200 table I'm currently playing, I'm seeing pot and re-raise with 2 pair all over the place. At the 25 that kind of move is extremely common.

I really think that at the 25 you'd be money ahead never laying down the nuts regardless.

And at every level I've played, I'd say the same would apply to at least 75% of the field, although it starts to get a little more civilized at $100 and up.
Aisthesis

Postby emmasdad » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:57 am

Props and a to Kuso. Welcome back Bud!!

Your instincts are all correct in this hand. UTG+1 had the nut straight with an unsuited 42!!! No redraw there. He would never lay that hand down either, but someone would (I would) to a repot on the flop and firing all-in again on the river. I stacked him 20 minutes later set over set. I made a note and am on the lookout for him again.

I have a tendancy to give people too much credit for a hand when I am new to a game and/or site. If this same hand was on Bodog, I would have gone nuclear. The play at Stars, up till now, has been far better than at Bodog, and I have done well stealing small pots as a result. There are fewer sheriffs in town at Stars, it seems.
emmasdad

Postby JDLush » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:27 pm

JDLush

Postby briachek » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:48 pm

Brian [Js][9s]
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Next

Return to Omaha