[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Multiway pot - any thoughts - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Multiway pot - any thoughts

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Multiway pot - any thoughts

Postby Chips->Middle » Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 am

Hi

Ok. So I am 1 off the button in a raised pot, 5 of us saw the flop ($0.50 - $1).

Flop is [Js] [8h] [Ks]

I have [As] [Td] [8s] [4c] and pot is $17.50

The first 2 check and the third guy to act (who raised pre flop) bets $17. I raise pot to $68.50. Button re-raises to $92.50 (all-in). SB folds. BB check raises all-in ($182). The original bettor folds.

So. Thoughts on my first raise. And also, where do I go from here and why?

Thanks
Chips->Middle

Postby briachek » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Brian [Js][9s]
Anyone who gets in a fair fight, has no tactical skills.
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Chips->Middle » Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 am

Ok

Starting stacks are:

SB: $79.30
BB: $184.50
UTG: $239.15
Me: $227
Button: $96
Chips->Middle

Postby briachek » Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am

first, i don't like your preflop play as your hand isn't really good. sure it has straight potential and a nfd, but you will end up with not much more than a flush draw or a marginal hand that is very vunerable. plus, you are double stacked so you have a lot more potential to be in a marginal situation for much more than you want to be.

I wouldn't raise the first time since you are deep and that's a very connected board and you can't just assume you will isolate a lot here. Now, once it gets 3 way action. Now you got a guy check raising after a bet, raise and a push. You have to think you are up against a probable set, and probably some sort of wrap draw with probably some of your fd outs dead. this give you at best about 30-33% equity. So it might be close given the stack sizes but its really gambling it up at best and you put yourself in this crappy situation with the preflop call and the flop raise.
Brian [Js][9s]
Anyone who gets in a fair fight, has no tactical skills.
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Stoneburg » Tue May 27, 2008 8:41 am

Preflop I think it is a clear fold. I'd see a flop in an unraised pot in position with the hand but it's really not one to stand up to a raise with, the cards just aren't connected enough. Switch the 4 for a 9 and I like it, but T84 is a pretty crappy combination with or without a suited Ace.

On the flop I am likely to just call. If I had a Q to go with it I would jag it, but here you've only got 12 outs. They're all to the nuts but it is still not good enough to take up against a probable set. A Q would give you an additional 3 outs making you a favorite against most holdings, but not by a huge margin.

Once the preflop raiser bets I'd just call it with my twelve outs since they are all to the nuts you want to encourage additional callers and I think it is highly unlikely a raise will take it down uncontested.

Having made the raise and committed $70 to the pot already it's only a matter of stack sizes and pot odds. I don't think it can be a mistake to call with 12 nut outs, surely you have more than adequate odds. Of course it would blow chunks if someone had A[Qs][Ts] but I'm not getting away from it after misplaying preflop (fold) and flop (call).
Stoneburg

Return to Omaha