[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Double bet when you dont trip up? (stud) - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Double bet when you dont trip up? (stud)

The best of the rest..

Moderators: kingsalami, LPF Police Department

Double bet when you dont trip up? (stud)

Postby Juskimo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:40 pm

I have been thinking about ways to generate a bit more discussion here, so I am going to try and start some more concept related threads. The thing that I am interested in is what you guys think of the double bet on 4th when you pair your door card and do not have trips.

As a rule, I always double bet, but this, particularly heads up, gets me into trouble. For example:

PokerStars Game #12139998438: 7 Card Stud Limit ($2/$4) - 2007/09/18 - 23:34:13 (ET)
Table 'Kriemhild V' 8-max
Seat 1: J0KEL ($29.25 in chips)
Seat 2: Trendkill03 ($56 in chips)
Seat 3: Juskimo ($111.25 in chips)
Seat 4: adams 262 ($123.50 in chips)
Seat 5: DarkRommel ($78.75 in chips)
Seat 6: mark98 ($59 in chips)
Seat 7: benbendan07 ($70 in chips)
J0KEL: posts the ante $0.25
Trendkill03: posts the ante $0.25
Juskimo: posts the ante $0.25
adams 262: posts the ante $0.25
DarkRommel: posts the ante $0.25
mark98: posts the ante $0.25
benbendan07: posts the ante $0.25
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to J0KEL [As]
Dealt to Trendkill03 [Tc]
Dealt to Juskimo [2h Jh 3c]
Dealt to adams 262 [6h]
Dealt to DarkRommel [9h]
Dealt to mark98 [8s]
Dealt to benbendan07 [Jd]
Juskimo: brings in for $1
adams 262: folds
DarkRommel: calls $1
mark98: folds
benbendan07: folds
J0KEL: folds
Trendkill03: folds
*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to Juskimo [2h Jh 3c] [3s]
Dealt to DarkRommel [9h] [7h]
Pair on board - a double bet is allowed
Juskimo: bets $4
DarkRommel: calls $4
*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to Juskimo [2h Jh 3c 3s] [Qh]
Dealt to DarkRommel [9h 7h] [7s]
DarkRommel: bets $4
Juskimo: calls $4
*** 6th STREET ***
Dealt to Juskimo [2h Jh 3c 3s Qh] [5d]
Dealt to DarkRommel [9h 7h 7s] [4d]
DarkRommel: checks
*** RIVER ***
Dealt to Juskimo [2h Jh 3c 3s Qh 5d] [8h]
DarkRommel: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Juskimo: shows [2h Jh 3c 3s Qh 5d 8h] (a pair of Threes)
DarkRommel: shows [Th Ts 9h 7h 7s 4d 3d] (two pair, Tens and Sevens)
DarkRommel collected $34.75 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $35.75 | Rake $1
Seat 1: J0KEL folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Trendkill03 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Juskimo showed [2h Jh 3c 3s Qh 5d 8h] and lost with a pair of Threes
Seat 4: adams 262 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 5: DarkRommel showed [Th Ts 9h 7h 7s 4d 3d] and won ($34.75) with two pair, Tens and Sevens
Seat 6: mark98 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 7: benbendan07 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)

So I guess the question is, do you always double and how far do you take it unimproved?
[23:42] Mekos King: and lookin bck on it all
[23:42] Mekos King: I FEEL RICH JEWISH GUILT

<spank_her_pair> whats everyone up 2?
<stickdude> watching Pok's AA get stomped on by Jus's AK
<PocketSevens> For those who missed it there's proof that when you eat a lot of fish you turn into one

http://juskimo.blogspot.com/
j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby flafishy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 am

I'll always double-bet if I'm interested in playing the hand -- goes to my 7CS philosophy that you need to play a good hand as fast as possible on the early streets.

But this isn't a hand I'd be interested in playing, so I would have no problem check-folding.

I suppose it's not horrible to double-bet it here to see if you can steal. But I certainly would have given it up on fifth. If you're feeling really frisky, you could continue the steal attempt with a fifth-street raise. But what is the point of calling fifth?
"It's all over, baby." -- Scotty Nguyen
"It's all downhill after the first kiss." -- Lou Reed
flafishy

Postby GodlikeRoy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:03 am

Poker is silly.

It is not enough to be good at chess, you must also play well.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win.

GodlikeRoy

Postby Juskimo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:38 am

[23:42] Mekos King: and lookin bck on it all
[23:42] Mekos King: I FEEL RICH JEWISH GUILT

<spank_her_pair> whats everyone up 2?
<stickdude> watching Pok's AA get stomped on by Jus's AK
<PocketSevens> For those who missed it there's proof that when you eat a lot of fish you turn into one

http://juskimo.blogspot.com/
j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby emmasdad » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:34 am

emmasdad

Return to Other Poker Games