[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Low limit razz tourney strategy - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Low limit razz tourney strategy

The best of the rest..

Moderators: kingsalami, LPF Police Department

Low limit razz tourney strategy

Postby ChaseThis » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:38 am

I've played a few of these and had some success, but I'm not so sure about strategy--particularly in the first hour. I've found that raising early on is basically pointless, b/c everyone and their brother is calling. I usually play pretty tight, which can be torturous when you've got paint or a pair in every hand for the first half hour. But, then again, this is razz so I guess I should expect it.

Anyway, I was wondering what type of strategy ppl who play these find best in the early stages. Juskimo? Anyone else playing these?
ChaseThis

Postby Juskimo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Dont play anything worse than 3 cards to an 8.
Fold anything where you brick or pair on 4th.
Learn to keep track of every card 8 or lower that has been played.
Early stages of low limit razz tourneys involve pounding the people who don't know what they are doing as much as possible. This means only playing premium hands and sticking to "my hand is better than yours" strategy. You cannot outplay people who have no idea what they are doing.

Also, a big part of razz strategy, later on, involves stealing the antes. During the first 4 or so levels, the antes are not big enough (relative to stack size) to be worth stealing.

Play premium hands and jam as much as possible when you are ahead, check and take the free cards when you are behind.

It will get frustrating to fold 60-75% of the good hands you start with on 4th, but you will be better off in the long run.
[23:42] Mekos King: and lookin bck on it all
[23:42] Mekos King: I FEEL RICH JEWISH GUILT

<spank_her_pair> whats everyone up 2?
<stickdude> watching Pok's AA get stomped on by Jus's AK
<PocketSevens> For those who missed it there's proof that when you eat a lot of fish you turn into one

http://juskimo.blogspot.com/
j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby ChaseThis » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:56 pm

ChaseThis

Postby Juskimo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 pm

<PocketSevens> For those who missed it there's proof that when you eat a lot of fish you turn into one

j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby low dough » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 pm

Oh, wow, i love the very low limit Razz tourneys. i.e. $1.20 on stars.

There are people who are raising(and capping) when they are showing trips.

I believe you should be playing any 3 that are 8 or lower, and folding when you brick 4th only when you know the other player knows how to play the game.

Last one I played had super lucky LAGtards capping every street with any hand, then turning them over to see who won.

The second hour, fewer of them are left, obviously, and the real play begins. This is one of the most hilarious forms of tournament poker I have ever played.

It was a Saturday night when I played the last one of these, so the drunks were having a good time.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Steven Wright

low dough
BTP Tourny #5 Winner

Postby Juskimo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:43 pm

You can't outlag bad players. Razz is very straightforward. If you always have the better hand, you will win most of the time.

You are advocating trying to beat bad players by playing poker that is just as bad (if not worse, because you know how bad you are actually playing) as the poker they are playing.

If you play tight, you have a huge edge. HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE. IE, you can put yourself in positions where you are always ahead. What is the advantage in giving that up?

j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby ChaseThis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 am

ChaseThis

Postby low dough » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 am

I did not clarify my post well.

I do not advocate playing any 3 cards under 8, any position, capping every street, without reads.

My point: Within 3 orbits, you can usually identify the players who will double you up when you hit.

Low-limit tourneys are populated by those who join whatever tourney is starting first, and the players for whom this is their game of choice. Telling the 2 apart is where my advantage lies.

Razz does require that you do pay attention on which suits are showing, and who does not back down when they pair a card on 4th or 5th. This attention to detail will pay off in spades when your opponent is not experienced at this game.

When when you are 3 bet when you have a wheel on 3rd or 4th, and your opponent is is showing trips, it will make you smile.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Steven Wright

low dough
BTP Tourny #5 Winner

Postby ChaseThis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:02 am

ChaseThis

Postby Juskimo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 am

j[d]
Juskimo
Rolled up since '05

Postby ChaseThis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:08 pm

Thx. 2 of 3 at ft right now...3:1 dog to the c/l tho. :(
ChaseThis

Return to Other Poker Games