[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
New Poster - Need Help With My Plan - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

New Poster - Need Help With My Plan

The all important concept of not going broke.

Moderators: k3nt, LPF Police Department

New Poster - Need Help With My Plan

Postby StartingOver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Hello BTP

I'm a new poster but have been reading the threads for a while now. Very informative I might add.

Anyway, I've a goal to attain and hope you'll be able to guide me toward the right direction. I'm going back to college in June and need to raise at least $8000.00 to cover the tuition and materials.

My poker background isn't extensive as I've played recreational for the past two years both online and live. I've never practiced bankroll management but hope to do so now. I've been playing NL ring games and started playing S&Gs this past weekend on Stars. I do have PT but have never really used it but I hope to start making use of it from now on. I will also post plays for critiquing.

My plan is to deposit $500 at the end of the month and hope to build it up till I reach my goal. After playing S&Gs this weekend, that's really what I'd like to play to build my roll.

What advice would you give me? Bear in mind I live in the US which means that I don't have a lot of sites to choose from. I can only multi-table up to two tables (more than that, I lose focus). I will commit to playing at least 30 hrs a week.

If you were in my shoes, how would you go about this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by StartingOver on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StartingOver

Postby emmasdad » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Playing SNGs 3 hours a week with a starting roll of $500 with no indication that you are a winning player?

I don't like your chances of making $8k by June with this plan.

If, on the other hand, you want to commit to learning multitabling at least 4 tables SH NLHE or SH PLO, starting at the $10 tables, posting up your stats after 8 or 10k hands, plugging your leaks, then playing more like 20 hours a week and studying 5-10 hours more per week, posting trouble hands, participating in discussions, keeping a journal, and exercising aggressive bankroll management in moving up (and down) in limits. . . Then I'd say you have a shot.

Welcome to the forums.
emmasdad

Postby StartingOver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:49 pm

StartingOver

Postby Kuso » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:05 pm

if you need the 8k, i'd recommend not quitting your day job.

4-tabling puts most players to sleep because it's so slow. the fact that you're nervous 4-tabling makes me think that you haven't internalized a lot of the fundamentals of winning player.

other than that, i ditto what ed said.

welcome to btp.
wwcrd?

"that basically sums up poker for me - 12" needle in the testicle." <nutkick> mvp
Kuso

Postby StartingOver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm

StartingOver

Postby StartingOver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:33 pm

StartingOver

Postby MBuckler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:50 pm

MBuckler

Postby emmasdad » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm

emmasdad

Postby StartingOver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 pm

StartingOver

Postby emmasdad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't see a journal yet.
emmasdad

Postby StartingOver » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:42 pm

StartingOver

Postby emmasdad » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:41 pm

emmasdad

Postby The Golden 1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:47 pm

The Golden 1

Postby black_knight6 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm

black_knight6
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby bdon22 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am

If you're going to commit to SnG's I'd skip on the HUD for now. It's really not that important in SnGs and I think if you start to rely on the HUD too much it will stunt your overall growth as a poker player. Learn to win by playing smart poker and making good reads. You don't need a HUD to win at low stakes. I don't think you should set a monetary goal of $8000 to cover tuition. Instead, your goal should be to improve every day and always play within your bankroll. You should look at this $500 as an initial training deposit, especially if you have little experience.

So here's what I would do if I was in your situation:

1. Consider the $500 as a training bankroll for $5 SnGs
2. Take accurate records of your wins/losses
3. Invest in some poker learning material - for SnGs I'd recommend Harrington on Holdem series and a poker training site/program such as Poker XFactor
4. Set your goal to become better at poker - not to make a certain amount of $$ by a certain time because that is not how poker works
5. Sign up for a site that has bonus or rakeback because it helps a lot in the beginning
6. Post your tough hands and review them every day even if it seems like a chore - it's the only way to get better

GL
bdon22

Next

Return to Bankroll Management