[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
While we're on the subject of "chances of busting" - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

While we're on the subject of "chances of busting"

The all important concept of not going broke.

Moderators: k3nt, LPF Police Department

While we're on the subject of "chances of busting"

Postby iceman5 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:49 pm

I have no idea how to do this math. Whats my chances of busting an $8000 roll shortstacking the $5/$10 game with $200 as each buy in?

Win rate of 2 PTBBs
SD of 25.5 PTBBs
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby Big_Leon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Hmm, I plugged this into a couple of different ROR calculators and it spit out 0.729049% but I'm not sure how to factor in (or if it matters) the shortstacking.

Oh, and no talk of busting the roll man. 8-)
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. - Wooderson

Personally I just assume everyone sucks until they show otherwise. - Nortonesque
Big_Leon

Postby NorthView » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:25 pm

You don't need to factor in the short stacking separately as its effects are shown in lower variance (as reflected in your SD of 25.5PTBB/100).

But... you have to very careful when applying the RoR formula to poker. For a start, PT's SD figure is session-based, and is pretty meaningless IMO because you could play one session where you get stacked (lose xBBs) on half of the hands, but stack someone (win xBBs) on the other half, and although you'd have experienced nightmarish real variance of the type that might have you smashing something up, PT would still show your SD as 0. Sure, this will tend towards a more accurate figure with time, but it's not clear how many hands and sessions that takes.

The other reason to treat RoR with distrust is that your win rate is likely to be quite inaccurate...which is all just as well because the figure I'm getting for your RoR is ~8.5%. If your true win rate were 4PTBB/100 instead, your RoR would drop to the figure Leon gives.
Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am
When I play a patient and relaxed game I win - that simple.

Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 pm
Seriously, fuck poker.
==================================================================

[21:03] NorthViewBTP: mac is a fellow mexican
[21:03] Mekosking: yup
[21:03] NorthViewBTP: you should support your bro
[21:03] Mekosking: therefore hes a fat worthless tsr obv
NorthView

Postby Big_Leon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Ahh Northy I think you are right. Pretty sure I put the PTBB in wrong.
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. - Wooderson

Personally I just assume everyone sucks until they show otherwise. - Nortonesque
Big_Leon

Postby Kuso » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:02 pm

how many hands?
wwcrd?

"that basically sums up poker for me - 12" needle in the testicle." <nutkick> mvp
Kuso

Postby iceman5 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:45 am

iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby NorthView » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 am

Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am
When I play a patient and relaxed game I win - that simple.

Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 pm
Seriously, fuck poker.
==================================================================

[21:03] NorthViewBTP: mac is a fellow mexican
[21:03] Mekosking: yup
[21:03] NorthViewBTP: you should support your bro
[21:03] Mekosking: therefore hes a fat worthless tsr obv
NorthView

Postby iceman5 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:34 pm

1 in 12 chance if I start losing right from the start and never move down.
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Return to Bankroll Management