[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
good play or just plain stupid? - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

good play or just plain stupid?

Post your tough limit holdem hands here

Moderators: piersmajestyk, LPF Police Department

good play or just plain stupid?

Postby Trons » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:39 pm

Ok, PF raiser had been raising quite a bit (either on a great run of cards, or super Agg PF...the table was tight (whether he was in the hand or not) usually no more then 3 to the flop...few saw a turn card.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) from (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5Image, 5Image.
3 folds, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, 5 folds, MP1 calls.

because he was to my right, I had to fold several hands in LP that i would have limped with, but couldn't cold call with. i'd been waiting (about 20 hands) to get a hand I could use to try to slow him down...Since he had raised (or folded) every hand he opened with, I gave him a wide starting range when he opened raised.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8Image, 7Image, 6Image (2 players)
MP1 bets, Hero raises???

Ok, At this point, I was seriously happy that i flopped the OESD (even the low end), but his bet into me threw me for a loop...I decided to raise because I figured this was one of those non-threatening flops that just screams bluff (to a AG Player). Since I had been playing uber tight (mainly because of this guy), I am guessing it was easy for him to put me on AK/AQ or high overpair. I figured I could reinforce that image with a raise...comments?
Trons

Postby antneye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:03 pm

antneye

Postby growlers » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 pm

I like the preflop play and I like capping flop as Ant said. There is a good chance we are ahead, and if we aren't (to an overpair, or a 6/7/8 in villian's hand) we still have a lot of outs.

Let's say we cap flop, let's try a posting experiment.
I have two differing theories on whether to bet the turn if he checks to us:
Theory number 1:
I think given the read and the fact that villian may well be a maniac I think you need to be committed to showdown even if he bets into you on turn or river, especially at this low limits there are maniacs that will bet and lead every street with just two overcards.
I think if we cap and villian checks turn I still bet though, and then check behind on the river. You still have a hand to showdown and given the read I don't want to give a free card to his most likely holding, which is two unpaired overcards.
I can't remember the exact circumstances of the other hand Ant refers to, but in this hand we have a hand to showdown, I want to protect my hand against overcards until the river, in which case we just check unless we make the straight as there is no longer any hand to protect since all the cards are out.

Theory number 2:
We should check behind, because we really hate to see a checkraise here, he may be ahead since he showed so much strength, and we have alot of outs. Villian also seems to be kinda a maniac, so even if we call the CR, we hate to fold on the river since we have some semblence of a hand to showdown.
Furthermore (and this is important): villian is aggressive, so will likely bet river no matter what his hand after out turn check, so we can pick off a bluff with our pair in case he has just two unpaired overcards.

Which argument do you guys like?
growlers

Postby antneye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:09 pm

I am sticking to my check if flop gets capped. Theory 2.
antneye

Postby growlers » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:15 pm

growlers

Postby antneye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 pm

antneye

Postby Trons » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:46 pm

Trons

Postby antneye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 pm

antneye

Return to Limit Hold'em Cash Games