[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Need guidance short handed limit - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Need guidance short handed limit

Post your tough limit holdem hands here

Moderators: piersmajestyk, LPF Police Department

Need guidance short handed limit

Postby striker2550 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:53 pm

Specifically 2 to 5 handed.
I am winning, but I cant put it into words or thinking as to why.
I feel out of my element when playing like this.
Like I've grabbed a bull by the tail and hanging on for dear life.
Any suggested reading and/or advice?
I didn't put this in shorthanded section cause I only play limit.
Limited brain capacity. lol
striker2550
Enthusiast (Online)

Re: Need guidance short handed limit

Postby MozMan » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:38 pm

Well, many of the same short-handed concepts that apply to any poker game, apply here. Basically, you need to loosen up your starting hand requirements, and get uber-aggressive. Most of your opposition will be incredibly uncomfortable with short handed play, and you need to keep them there. The reason you loosen up is because the blinds are coming around much faster than at a full table, and will eat you alive if you don't get involved in some pots. You need to be aggressive because you have to take more of those pots to pay for the blinds.

It is a pretty uncomfortable way to play, but I find that regular short-handed play tends to improve my regular play.
MozMan

Postby striker2550 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:17 am

Mozman, tks for the reply.
Yes, I understand to get very loose and very aggressive. And that most others are just as uncomfortable as me, playing that way.
But I guess what I am looking for is "accepted starting/raising hands preflop".
I feel really goofy raising preflop utg four handed w/ only 10,J s.
I haven't any idea whatsoever what the "accepted" raising hands are, if any.
I'm sure I'm only winning cause I can fling poo w/ anyone enough to make em duck!
striker2550
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby MozMan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:07 am

Ahh, I see what you mean.

I think that, basically, starting/raising hands become significantly less important short-handed, or at least must be viewed differently. In fact, a certain dichotomy develops where you begin to have more starting hands that warrant raises (under certain circumstances) that do NOT warrant limping. In fact, there will be times that you will call raises pre-flop with hands that you wouldn't limp with in the same game.

For example, in a short-handed game (especially against weak or tight competition) you should be putting in a lot of raises from the cutoff or button, almost regardless of your hand and almost with reckless abandon. The potential for pot-stealing is just too great. If, however, there are displays of strength (ie, a raise) before you in the same situation, folding should be seriously considered on all but the strongest of your hands.

In the blinds, you need to defend much more often, also because the potential for pot-stealing is so great. When you are in the blinds, one player folds, the cutoff raises and the button folds, there is a significantly higher chance that the cutoff is trying to steal, making many more of your marginal holdings profitable.

Of course, much of this depends on your opposition, too. If you are playing a table where the other players play short-handed well, then you want to try to see a lot of flops cheap. Limp any time you think they will let you get away with it, and bet the hell out of anything that catches, and drop anything that doesn't. Kind of a loose-passive preflop and tight-aggressive post-flop mentality. It's kind of hard to shift gears mid-hand like that, but can really keep the opposition off balance.
MozMan

Postby MozMan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:11 am

MozMan

Postby striker2550 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:08 am

striker2550
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby MozMan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:30 pm

MozMan

Postby striker2550 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:52 pm

striker2550
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby Jav » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:17 pm

Remember that the value of suitedness (as well as any volume pot attribute) goes down when you are playing short-handed. In a ten player game, I would prefer TJs to KJo; but shorthanded I'll take KJo over TJs. You will rarely have the odds to draw to a flush or straight, so the suited and connecting cards go down in value a little; while high cards go up in value.

Also in short-handed play, you really need to get an idea of how your opponents are playing. It usually works well to let the more aggressive players bet for you when you have a decent but not great hand hand, since if you come back at them with aggression they will usually fold hands you can beat, but if you don't raise them they might bet all the way to the river. Against players who aren't being over aggressive or tricky then it pays to be more aggressive.
Jav

Postby MozMan » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:11 pm

MozMan

Postby Johnny Hughes » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:06 am

Short handed is all about position. You don't think of straights or flushes as much and look for any two big cards in position. You never or rarely raise out of position.You trap. You nearly always raise with position and anything above 10,9. If it is real short handed, you play Ace rag which you would not in a ring game.

Head up, you switch from passive to aggressive to passive to aggressive every other hand based on position. When a big pot comes up, at least you will have position or a bigger partially hidden hand. You have to gamble and be aggressive and take more chances. Cold call with Aces or Kings before the flop or make a tiny raise. Johnny Hughes
Johnny Hughes
Johnny Hughes

Postby striker2550 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:46 pm

Thanks, Johnny. Thanks to all.
I am playing short more comfortably now, due mostly to your replies.
Good cards to you all !
striker2550
Enthusiast (Online)

Return to Limit Hold'em Cash Games