[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Raising on the turn...heads up - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Raising on the turn...heads up

Post your tough limit holdem hands here

Moderators: piersmajestyk, LPF Police Department

Raising on the turn...heads up

Postby Zuccala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Here is another example. I am confused on when to raise on the turn when heads up. I understand that in multiway pots when I have a hand that needs protection or I am trying to eliminate players. But heads up its different.

$2 -$5 Live

I get [Js][Jc] OTB and raise after 1 EP limper and BB calls

flop: [8h][6s][6d] $13 (3 Players)

BB checks, EP checks, I bet $2, only EP calls

turn:[3d] $17 (2 Players)

EP bets $5, I raise to $10, EP folds

Should I have just called and let this go to the river so I can VB? HE may have had A6,99,77,TT or something. Is this a good time to raise? Or will the only hand that call beat me? I seem to think that heads up in Limit, there is not alot raising on the turn unless 2 big hands are against eachother and one is trying t extract value?.
2008 Goals:

1. Make $40K by year end.
2. Play at least 100hrs a month.
3. Read 5-10 new Poker Books w/ notes.
4. Become regular at $2/$4 FR
5. Try some $5/$10 FR
6. Work on Game non-stop.
Zuccala

Postby Trons » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 pm

I raise this river every time. He may have mistook your flop bet for a CB and tried to bluff on the turn, knowing you probably can't call with AK, AQ or similar hand...your raise screams "overpair" and he can't beat it...so he folds...in this situation, if he 3bets, I probably fold...at that point, you're probably up against trips and are drawing to a 2outer...just my thoughts
Trons

Postby Zuccala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:35 pm

YEs, I agree too. I think I should have just smooth called knowing that i was ahead. Then on the river I could raise his bet or if he checks at least try to get a VB of my own. I have a bad habit that when I do not know what to do......I raise.
2008 Goals:

5. Try some $5/$10 FR
Zuccala

Postby McNemo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 pm

McNemo

Postby Zuccala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm

2008 Goals:

5. Try some $5/$10 FR
Zuccala

Postby McNemo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 pm

McNemo

Postby Zuccala » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm

2008 Goals:

5. Try some $5/$10 FR
Zuccala

Postby MTPaid » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm

You may be screaming at yourself because you made him fold, but how would you have felt if you had just called and then the [9d] or another 8 or even [7d] or an overcard hit on the river and he bet again?

If he was just taking a shot with a bluff, he most likely would have check/folded the river anyway so you're not getting another penny off him either way. However, raising the turn makes him pay maximum the times that he wants to call down with a smaller pair or when he's on a draw.
Statler: I wonder if there really is life on other planets?
Waldorf: What do you care? You don't have a life on this planet.
"Muppets In Space"

The Blog: http://lazyguy.squarespace.com

"Full Tilt is rigged" - ED
MTPaid

Return to Limit Hold'em Cash Games