[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Set of 8's - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Set of 8's

Hand analysis. Post your trouble hands here

Moderators: iceman5, LPF Police Department

Set of 8's

Postby iceman5 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:53 am

Im playing $200NL at Full Tilt Poker. Blinds $1/$2
MP open raises to $7 (this is his 2nd hand and he has ($198), I call with [8h][8d] (I have the table covered). The button also calls ($125) and the blinds fold.
The pot is $24. The flop comes [Qs][8c][4d]. MP bets $15, I call and the button folds. Sometimes I would raise here but I wanted to see what the button would do.
Pot is $54. The turn is the [Js]. MP checks. I bet $35 and now he check raises to $110. When MP checked I thought he had AK, but now I think he has either AA, KK or JJ. I was leaning heavily towards AA or KK since most people wont bet into 2 callers with JJ and a queen on the board. I guess he could also have [As][Ks], but in that case I also think he wouldve bet out because he obviously pot committed himself this way.
Do you think its more or less likely that he can beat 88 since he check raised so big instead of just betting? Comments on the hand?
Last edited by iceman5 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby tetsuo » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:49 am

All of the hands you mention seem probable to me apart from [As][Ks]. I don't think he's on a draw.

His less-than-the-pot on the flop bet might well have been an inexpensive attempt to find out whether you've got a [Qd], and is practically automatic for the raiser as he would have had to have folded if he checked and you bet. To me, his shift from leading to check-raising says 'the [Js] helped me'.

On the other hand, he might have an overpair and be trying to keep you in the pot on the flop, as there aren't many draws. Still, I'd personally bet the entire size of the pot with [Ks][Kh], as I'd hate to see an [Ad].

Yet again he may have [As][Ad] and be slowplaying it for value and is aggressively protecting it from a flush on the turn. With the [As] he has the added confidence of the backdoor nut flush, too.

I'd reckon on [Jd][Jh] first, with [As][Ad] secondly.

I'd probably be calling. If he does have a set of jacks and the fliush completes, there is a very remote chance you can get him to lay his set down?

And anyway, I've won so many finger-biting all-ins against my sets on balance that I almost never lay them down, especially as [As][Ad] is a real possibility.
tetsuo
Site Admin

Postby iceman5 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:38 pm

Well, he couldnt hit a backdoor flush with [As][Ad], since theres only 2 spades on the board.
Also, if I call his large check raise, theres no way hes folding no matter what hits the river. Hes pot committed big time.
So I have to either reraise hm all or fold.
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby tetsuo » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 pm

Heh, I'll double check the cards next time ;-)

I have seen people make gigantic bets and then fold despite being pot committed, though.

But these are at the lower buyin NHLE tables, and I'm always quite shocked when it happens.
tetsuo
Site Admin

Postby iceman5 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:07 pm

I reraised all in which he called quickly. He had [As][Ac]. Unless the board is very scary, I'm usually willing to play for my entire stack with a set in a pot that was raised preflop. If I lose to a higher set, then so be it. I really didnt think he had a set here, althought, the large check raise caught me off guard and I had to think longer than usual.
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby k3nt » Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 am

k3nt
Enthusiast (Online)

Return to No Limit Hold'em Cash Games