[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Sets on scary turns - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Sets on scary turns

Hand analysis. Post your trouble hands here

Moderators: iceman5, LPF Police Department

Sets on scary turns

Postby Aisthesis » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:09 pm

I'm actually hoping this is old new for ice, who I think in some ways has a healthier "set aggression" policy than I do. I'm also somewhat influenced by some hands lately where my check allowed an indeed very strong hand to take down a pot on a very scary board against me (they could accurately put me on a something OTHER than the straight or flush that was staring us both in the face on the turn, and they did have the best hand, so maybe not a huge problem).

Anyhow, this really applies to sets with position, which again makes things a lot easier.

I'll use as an example, this K54 board I've been using the last few days. But now, let's assume that there are 2 diamonds on there. MP bets his K, I raise my 55 to $100, creating a turn pot of $225. Well, if a diamond or a 3 or something like that hits on the turn, I've lately been just checking and waiting for the board to pair.

This isn't bad as long as you're getting paid off big when you do have a near nut hand. Then you can wait for your monster and bet big again.

But, in actuality, particuarly if your opponent doesn't come alive when the diamond hits, that card is just as scary for him as it is for you. And, if he's playing against me, it should actually be scarier for him, because I do semi-bluff AXs as well as the straight.

Hence, I think one should yet again bet the turn with the set, which is almost always ahead and will otherwise almost always have outs (and 10 of them, which is a lot).

Anyhow, thinking about these semi-bluffs and sets, I think I've been playing the turn much too weak at times.
Aisthesis

Return to No Limit Hold'em Cash Games