[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
General tournament theory and specific hand - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

General tournament theory and specific hand

Are you playing your best tournament game? Find out here!

Moderators: TexasKowboy, LPF Police Department

General tournament theory and specific hand

Postby Rhound50 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:35 pm

I am almost exclusively a cash game player but in Vegas 12er talked me into playing the $330 deep stack at the Venetian. He told me the field was really soft which was an major understatement and he took half my action so I decided WTF.

Tourney starts with 180 players and we are down to 40 or so. I have 50k in chips and am the big stack at my table, the blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante. I have been running over my table pretty well. For the most part my table is waiting for big hands, and I am able to pick up the blinds and antes pretty regularly.

Then my worst possible scenario, I bust the shorty to my left and in his place they move the chip leader. He has over 60k and is super agro. After 10 hands sitting to my left he has. He called one of my raises and bluffed me off 3rd pair and showed a missed draw. He has also 3 bet me big and the player 2 seats to my left the same .

So as a general theory what is the best play here? 12er said to tighten up which makes sense it would help me avoid borderline spots against a player that can bust me and has position on me. My concern is that my table has been together since the beginning of the tournament and I'm not sure if my table is going to ever break and playing super tight means I cant use my chip stack and this is the time I really want to make a push to get a monster stack so I have a final table stack. I really fear sitting back waiting for a top 10 hand and being blinded into non existence. Sneaking into the money doesn't mean shit, the top 4 places are all the real money everything else is pretty weak when you consider how long I would have have to play tight to try to sneak in to 10th.

So my bust hand
I raise [As] [3s]. Dingelberry calls from the SB. Flop is [2s] [5s] [Kh]. Villain checks, I bet 3k, He makes it like 7500, I raise to 20k, he shoves, I am now getting like 3:1 on my remaining chips and I'm pretty damn sure its a coin flip. I call villain has K9o and I dont improve and I'm gone in a disappointing 39th.

I took a long time to make the final call, I still had 25k left which just about an average stack at that time in the tournament. My problem is that I already invested 40% of my stack, plus with this guy at my table directly to my left this is going to be a super tough table and at some point in order for me to have a chance to win someone was going to have to cripple of KO this guy and if I fold no one at my table would have had more than 35k and this guy was going to make my life a living hell but with him gone it would have been a really easy table.

Is there a better strategy or a better type of hand to make this stand with or is this just one of those tourney spots where the coin flips gods either make you a huge stack or a railbird?

Comments on all points are appreciated and yes I know if I was a better poker player I would have won the coin flip but unfortunately I am not.

I
"Its a pink handbag not backpack damn it." Godlikeroy

"From playing full tilt I wanna smash every garden gnome I see. That travelocity commercial puts me on instant tilt."
Rhound50
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby MTPaid » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:19 am

Statler: I wonder if there really is life on other planets?
Waldorf: What do you care? You don't have a life on this planet.
"Muppets In Space"

The Blog: http://lazyguy.squarespace.com

"Full Tilt is rigged" - ED
MTPaid

Postby Meltinpot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:59 am

Meltinpot

Postby Beavis68 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Beavis68

Postby hard2tel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:41 pm

"But meh, what I lack for in talent and intelligence I make up for in lack of ambition." -- Oatmealforxmas

- make more than xaston and roy
hard2tel

Postby DaFish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:45 pm

DaFish

Postby charlie sheepskins » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 pm

charlie sheepskins

Postby Beavis68 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Beavis68

Postby Xaston » Thu May 01, 2008 1:08 am

Boy, you got me confused with a man who repeats himself.
Xaston

Postby Triple B » Thu May 01, 2008 11:29 am

Villain: Why?
Villain: How?
Me: I had a feeling
Villian: Sit in you cretin
Triple B

Postby Dumb Snowman » Sun May 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Partake in my bollocks, bloody chav!
Dumb Snowman
Enthusiast (B&M & Online)

Postby Twelver » Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Mekos King (10:21:59 PM): one of the first rules of manlaw
Mekos King (10:22:06 PM): is never ever try to suck backup to a bitch
Mekos King (10:22:09 PM): who caught u cheatin
Mekos King (10:22:23 PM): unless your married and would lose like money inna divorce
Mekos King (10:22:33 PM): then u suckup just long enuf to get close enough to killer obv

Heat517163 (5:05:37 PM): black people man
Heat517163 (5:05:40 PM): they travel in packs
Twelver

Return to Multi Table Tournaments (MTTs)