[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
I have a new article up on the main page. - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

I have a new article up on the main page.

Are you playing your best tournament game? Find out here!

Moderators: TexasKowboy, LPF Police Department

I have a new article up on the main page.

Postby TexasKowboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:12 pm

MTT part II Avoiding Common MTT Mistakes.

It's just pointing out some common mistakes that I have found myself making.

Let me know what you think. (good or bad)
Kowboy

If I ain't sinkin', well I must be swimin' If I ain't dead, I must be livin' Livin' is the thing, that scares me the most And if I ain't sleepin', well I better be fishin' If I ain't anchored I will be driftin' But all and all, I'm doing pretty good, since I hit my third coast!
TexasKowboy
BTP Benefactor & Egg Champion 2005

re: I have a new article up on the main page

Postby teknikel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:38 am

teknikel

Postby TexasKowboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:52 pm

great job kel,

Thanks for the reply. Whenever I put an article out I'm never sure if I'm missing something or not. But as long as it helped at least one BTPer then I'm happy.

Your right about never giving up. I don't know how many times my tight play as left me short stacked at the final table only to build chips after I get there to move up to the top.

But, I am working on a strategy to still see as many final tables but have more chips when I get there because it's not fun being the short stack all the time.

I'll give everyone a hint. There are a lot of chips to be won early when players like Kowboy are sitting back waiting for the blinds to go up so they can shift gears. Once I prefect early (the first hour) play I'll pass it on.
Kowboy

If I ain't sinkin', well I must be swimin' If I ain't dead, I must be livin' Livin' is the thing, that scares me the most And if I ain't sleepin', well I better be fishin' If I ain't anchored I will be driftin' But all and all, I'm doing pretty good, since I hit my third coast!
TexasKowboy

early play

Postby teknikel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:52 am

TK,

I must admit, I did change one other thing yesterday. I went with Rhound"s strategy somewhat using LP only to be looserbut only with suited connectors 5,6+ and Axs. But the biggest change was slow playing KK early.That got me an early chip lead and your article took me the rest of the way. And really, i believe slow playing the big two early falls into what you say in the article as well.

kel
teknikel

Postby Jimmyjohn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Hey Kowboy,

Enjoying the wild flowers on the side of the roads right now? Went through your little burg on the way to Kenedy/Karnes City yesterday and it was nice!!

Just read your new article...actually started it and quickly realized I hadn't read the first one so I quickly corrected that mistake. I don't play MTT's so I can't grade your papers on quality of content, but you get an A+ for quality of presentation. These are two of the most down to earth informative articles I have ever read. You did a lot of thinking and presented your thoughts well. Congrats on a fine job.

Jimmyjohn
Victoria, TX
Jimmyjohn

Postby WildBillHickok » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:53 pm

yessir, ole Kowboy writes some good'ens...i notice he's 3rd on the BTP tourny board thing, uh huhhhh.

Well, ole JimmyJohn! How ya doing son?! This place is filling up with all kinds of good ole boys. 8-)
WildBillHickok
BTP Tourny #6 Winner

Postby AlamdeaMike » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Very good read. Thanks I will give your strategy a try.

I took your advice and folded 55 MP for a raise. I would have flopped set - the AT that raised got a runner runner straight. I would have been out or very short.
Don't lose your entire stack in an unraised pot or with only one pair.
AlamdeaMike

Postby TexasKowboy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:30 pm

Kowboy

TexasKowboy

Postby JayB » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Thx Kowboy for your article

I've read it a few times and found it very usefull,

I have written down some of my findings in another post, I had a question about (almost) becoming shortstack

the post is here: forum/viewtopic.php?t=7975

again thx a lot!
JayB

Postby playuasong » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 am

playuasong

Postby TexasKowboy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:36 pm

One thing to remember is this was written pre-WSOP 2005. Every year after the WSOP a whole new group joins the poker world with different plays and stratigies.

I like your idea of acting first with a semi bluff and taking the pot down right then. Just don't get caught too many times or you will lose your table respect which will cost you later when a good player traps you. I use the first to act method more now then I did in the past.

As for the all in with AA and KK. If you raise 4 X the BB these idiots are going to call you with smaller pairs, connectors and any two suited cards. They are going to re-raise you with suited connectors and painted pairs. You have AA or KK so your going all in if your re-raised. So I want to get it all in pre flop that way I am most of the time heads up and not playing my AA or KK 3 and 4 way. If your going to go all in anyway why not be the first to get all in is just my thinking on those hands. I dont always play it all in but after the first break I will 90% of the time.

Hope this answers some of your questions feel free to continue the debate if you still have objections or ask more questions.
Kowboy

TexasKowboy

Postby PokerBratt99 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:36 am

PokerBratt99

Postby Beavis68 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:53 pm

Beavis68

Re: I have a new article up on the main page.

Postby humbled » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:55 pm

humbled

Re: I have a new article up on the main page.

Postby Dapsy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:29 pm

Dapsy

Return to Multi Table Tournaments (MTTs)