Advanced search

An example of Adam's post

Want to know the odds of AA vs KK? What was the "expected value" when I reraised all in? Come find out!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

An example of Adam's post

Postby Martine23 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:07 pm

Was playing in a $55PLHE tournament on Stars when this hand came up.

Midway through, blinds are 50-100 and I have an average stack(maybe a little below, I forget exact numbers). I am in the small blind with J9d and it is folded to me and I just call, the BB checks. Flop comes QJ8 with two diamonds, I bet the pot. The BB quickly raises the pot. I think about what he could have and is most likelly top pair, not sure on the kicker but with that raise I am thinking QT maybe even KQ.

Now here, I have a pretty strong hand, 2nd pair with a gutshot flush draw. If he is holding only top pair I am a favorite to any of his holdings as long as my 9 is live. I decided to make the raise all-in(I had him covered by 650). He called with KQ, no diamonds. Right here I am a 57% favorite to win this hand. And by me putting him to the decision to call it was really making the play worth it. If I miss I am crippled but if I hit I am top 10 halfway through. However, if this was NL and he raised me all-in after my bet, I would have had a really hard time calling the all-in with just the draw.

The turn was a blank and the river was the 2d, putting me in 8th place. I ended up finishing 4th in the tournament but that was a key hand for me half-way through. These are the hands when knowing the odds will work to your advantage.
Martine23

Return to Odds