Advanced search

Adjustments, results, and book reviews... :)

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Adjustments, results, and book reviews... :)

Postby Aisthesis » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:35 am

Tried a few things this evening with some good results--up $250 after 100 hands, so definitely not bad, and refreshing after struggling with a lot of losing sessions the last week or so.

Anyhow, here are some aspects: First, reading a bit in both Rolf's book and Reuben's. I'm not a big fan of this short-stack stuff (really more out of principle than for substantive reasons, and I probably should delve into it more deeply if only to see what others are doing, as it really seems to be the RAGE at the moment among fairly informed players, who are obviously just following Rolf here), but I've liked everything else there. I also have some major questions on Reuben's advice in particular cases (I hope to get around to posting some of that), but what I like about both is more of an attitude thing: Be willing to bet big not necessarily with the nuts but when you sense you're ahead, also bearing in mind scare cards on later streets.

I feel like the attitude shared by both of these pros has really helped.

Also, particularly Reuben has prompted me to loosen up quite a bit (still not as loose as he sometimes is), so I was at around 30% tonight rather than my usual 20% or so in VPIP. Playing ruthlessly tight just does get pretty tedious at times, as when cards are running cold you end up down as low as like 16% (particularly for me, since I'm not multi-tabling), then catch top set only to have it flushed on the turn, etc.

What I basically did was stay pretty picky in all but the last 2 seats (might have played 1 or 2 hands otherwise that I wouldn't have, but they were pretty coordinated anyway, like KQJ7ds to a short-stack raise, which doesn't seem WAY out of line anyway), where I decided I was going to play almost any pair, almost any suited A, anything that just looked generally decent and almost all ds. Anyhow, not being real "principled" about it, but probably playing like 40% or so in LP.

Also felt good to start raising max in all positions, although I didn't have much opportunity to do so. Another move I've been considering is introducing the re-raise, particularly against players who like to raise a lot of JJ-KK hands. But what I really don't like about it as that it takes away so much ability to play out your hand post-flop. I do think that if I could start showing some re-raised ds wraps periodically, then get them pushing their KK or QQ, that could be advantageous upon switching back to a very high number of AA hands in the re-raise mix. At the moment, I still basically just don't re-raise unless it's AA and I can get it almost all in. I don't think that's a bad policy really either.

Just a few random thoughts anyway.
Aisthesis

Return to Omaha