Advanced search

Some PF questions

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Some PF questions

Postby Aisthesis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:50 pm

Here are just a few random issues I've been thinking about lately:

1) I guess a good start is JJ. I noticed that JJ was a slight loser a short while ago and then stopped playing junky JJ in EP. Now it's a winner. Do others agree that JJ without some kind of side-cards is just too dodgy UTG and UTG+1 FR?

2) Related question: I do play QQ-AA in EP without side-cards (e.g., QQ72r), and they all seem to be doing ok. Anyone actually fold those here? I'll just add that I think the JJ problem stems from the disadvantage you get by being oversetted too often, and that's significantly less frequent with QQ+.

Well, I guess as preface to my additional questions, I should note that I've been playing AXs in the last 2 seats for a limp pretty much always. My plan is this: do a lot of calling in LP (with nut flush draw, top set often, strong straight draws, etc.) in general, and specifically here with nut flush draw only, BUT... only on boards where I can bluff a straight if it hits. That is, if the board is totally dry, then, yes, go ahead and fold my nut flush draw because I don't have any additional bluff outs. Anyhow, I've been liking this and think it's probably marginally profitable, in addition to the advantage of getting me more callers on my big hands. And that bring up some more issues:

3) Is a somewhat better hand like AQT2 with suited A worth raising in LP? I haven't been doing it FR, just to keep pots small if I am bluffing the flush. I do think raising something like AQT2 with suited A is likely to make for more CRs when you're betting flush draw alone (hence you have to lay it down) but to make for a good bluff when you hit an A-flop--although at the 100s, a set generally still won't lay down, they just won't play as aggressively, so I'm not sure how much that buys.

Anyhow, my feeling is that if you don't raise, then you're in a lot better shape on a flop like QXY with (or even without) flush draw, since you can easily rep QQ here, and no one else is likely to have it since it just got checked around in a limp pot.

Ok, if we're that far, then how about AQT2ds? Anyone think that's just an auto-raise in LP?

Finally, what do others think about CALLING a raise with those kinds of hands? I've been doing it more or less routinely with hands like 8c8sAd2d, and even that may be a little leaky. Does anyone think AQT2 with just suited A is worth calling a pot-sized raise with in LP? How about if the raise is more like 3 or even 2 BB? How about AQT2ds?

I may have called a mini-raise or 2 with AQT2ds, but otherwise I've been folding them to raises and myself limping. I'm just wondering whether that might be too conservative.
Aisthesis

Return to Omaha