[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Applying some pressure (Caro) - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Applying some pressure (Caro)

Post sites reviews, news and bonus updates here. (Absolutely NO personal codes or links allowed or you face a ban)

Moderators: Rhound50, LPF Police Department

Applying some pressure (Caro)

Postby Aisthesis » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:37 am

This is from the back part of Caro's "Book of Poker Tells" (#56 and #57).

Basically, you're doing something similar to the "strong means weak" but with a different purpose (Caro lists this one as a strategy at professional level). You reach for your chips as the opponent bets to gain information. I think running one's usual routine for "I'm getting ready to play" is probably just about right, maybe just adding a little force to it at just the right time (which seems to be right at the point where the bet is getting ready to occur).

If he looks back at his cards, then completes the bet forcefully, he's probably bluffing. If he just follows through or else looks at his cards, then completes the bet smoothly, he's probably got a hand.

So, I guess one situation to try this is when you have a decent but vulnerable hand against a bluffy-type opponent.

I think this one is worth working on, actually, in difficult river situations in particular. I'm usually so wrapped up in thinking about what to do that I have trouble putting on much of an act, but I need to keep reminding myself to try to put this play into effect. Looks to me like it would take some fine-tuning before really getting it down.
Aisthesis

Return to Poker Rooms (Online & B&M)