Advanced search

Phish's Tourney Journey

No matter what you play or where you play it, if you want to record your day by day poker exploits, this is the place!

Moderator: LPF Police Department

Phish's Tourney Journey

Postby BigPhish » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:44 pm

Like a salmon swimming upstream to breed (and die), I intend to brave the ever turbulent waters that strive to push me back out to sea, playing tourney after tourney until I can beat the $100 buy-ins or I go broke. I will pause and pursue NL ring play only to whore 100% bonuses.

Watch the saga of the salmon unfold here.

While I'm doing this, I intend to re-read Harrington's 2 books and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky over and over again. I've been through each once so far, and am about 10% through my second reading of Harrington I.

Session 1

Date: 20 Sep 2005
Today's Tourneys Played: 5
Today's Money Finishes: 2
Today's BR Net: $35+

All-Time Tourneys Played: 5
All-Time Money Finishes: 2
All-Time BR Net: $35+
All-Time ITM%: 40%
All-Time ROI%: 64%

Tourneys Played Today

FTP: 3 S&G @ 9 player, $10+$1 (placed 4, 5, 3)
FTP: 2 S&G @ 18 player, $10+$1 (placed 11, 1)

Interesting Stuff

There are fewer retards on the $10 tables than on the $5 tables by far.
There are also more people who'll call a bluff, so bluff less.

Bust-Outs

1) On bubble, M=8.6. I'm in the BB, SB / big stack min-raises, I push with AJo. He has 44, I don't improve.

2) 5 left, M=12.5. Aggressive play from the player to my immediate left. I'm in the SB with 33, I call, he checks. Flop 83?. I bet pot, he calls. Turn A, I bet 1/2 pot, he calls. Don't remember the river, but I pushed. He called with pocket 8's. Damn set-over-set.

3) 11 left, M=4.4 (took a bad beat), in LP with AQ, min-raised (mistake, I should have just pushed with an M that low), big stack calls. Flop brings me TPTK, I push. Other 2 cards are an 8 and a 4, which coincidentally double-pair big stack's pocket.

4) 3 remain, I'm middle stack. Big stack to my immediate right has double what I do, my M is 14 so I don't need to make a move. Big stack has been raising 3xBB every goddam hand for 3 cycles of the button. I got sick of it and pushed with K9 suited. He had a craptastic hand that I don't even remember, but he hit a pair and I didn't.

5) 3 aggressives left, all with about 9k chips. We steal blinds back and forth a while until the 2 others get randy with each other and one of them goes away. Now it's 18k for him and 9k for me. Exercising extreme patience, I hold out until I get pocket queens in the SB/Button and complete. Opponent checks. Flop Q8Q, 2 diamonds. Opponent bets pot, I hesitate a tick and call. Turn brings another diamond. Opponent bets pot, I hesitate a bit longer and call. River brings another 8. Double-paired board and dammit I hope he's got an 8! He bets pot, I mini-raise, he pauses forever, finally calls and I have the chip lead. He titled after that and couldn't hit a hand for anything. It was just a matter of time.

P.S. Feedback is welcome... If you guys aren't interested, I'll stop posting so as not to waste space. ;)

I'd be especially interested in which statistics you tournament superstars track that I don't have listed here and, if it's not obvious, why they matter.
-BigPhish
From my bankroll to yours, all across the Internet.
BigPhish

Return to Member Journals