Advanced search

Advice on rebuy/addon tourneys wanted

Are you playing your best tournament game? Find out here!

Moderators: TexasKowboy, LPF Police Department

Advice on rebuy/addon tourneys wanted

Postby Mad Genius » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:04 am

As some of you know, I am a regular MTT player at Stars. I have had some good success playing the $10 and $20 NLHE tourneys that Stars offers on a daily basis. However, lately I have been intrigued by the $10 rebuy-addon tourney that they offer, as it has a guaranteed $20k prize pool and usually exceeds $30k. First place will often pay $8k+, which is a whole lot more than the non rebuy tourneys. I played my second one ever tonight and I must say that while the play was ATROCIOUS, I had a tough time adjusting. The table I was seated at the whole time would have been an absolute gold mine if I caught more than 1 playable hand - we had preflop allins about 50% of the time, often with hands like Q9o or A2s. There were at least 30 rebuys. Yet, I couldn't pick up any chips. After I rebought immediately, I sat and folded, as it would usually cost an absurd amount of money to take a flop. I only saw one playable hand (QQ), where I ran into KK. Despite the fact that everyone else was playing wildly, I just couldn't get myself to call allins with hands like A8, although I knew that I was most likely gonna be the favorite. I added on and lasted through most of the second hour, although my stack was never even average and finally got fed up and pushed with AQ against a raiser who had AJ and spiked his J.

To any tourney experts who play rebuy tourneys on a regular basis, what's the best way to attack this type of table? Was I right to fold through the hour and pick up a few tiny pots to sustain myself? Do I take chances on likely 60/40s?
Mad Genius
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Return to Multi Table Tournaments (MTTs)