Advanced search

Loose raisers: Summary

Hand analysis. Post your trouble hands here

Moderators: iceman5, LPF Police Department

Loose raisers: Summary

Postby Aisthesis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:07 am

Sorry my other loose raisers posts have been so long-winded and rambling, but this is a topic I'm struggling with. Anyhow, here's a (hopefully) more to-the-point summary of where I'm at.

First, I assume you know your raiser.

Now, out of position, I think you have to simply apply the gap concept in considering calls with big cards. If he'll raise AJ, then AQ is a good call. If he'll raise KT, then you might even consider KJs, although I really think on that one you need to start worrying about the rest of the table. I just don't know whether I'm prepared to go any lower than AJ or KQ in a raised pot--although I will say that we had a guy the other night who'd raise K7s (or worse) from any position. Against that guy, I did decide to go with KJ, for better or worse.

In position, however, I think you can consider actually reversing the gap concept if you have a bit of an "intimidation factor" on your side.

Basically, I want action on my sets, and I want to be able to raise them with some hope of getting this action. In position, I'm thus going to hammer a continuation bet with a serious raise. Against a player whom you've hit hard with a set, I think you then CAN move down to slightly worse hands than his raising hands (again KQ, AJ, and AQ are the real candidates here) because you have a lot of laydown equity when you raise his continuation bet.

Also, suited connectors then become much more interesting in position. There, if you hit even a pair, you actually have more outs against a big card than you would, say, with both hitting a Q when you have KQ and your opponent has AQ.

E.g.: You have 76s, the board is Q73, and your oponent has AQ. You'd only have 3 outs (your K) if you had KQ, whereas you have 5 outs on your 76s.

Obviously, in either case, you're not playing these hands in order to hit your outs. Raising here is very risky in both cases, so you want your intimidation factor to be very high--i.e., AQ needs to lay down a LOT!

Similarly, even against a tight raiser (JJ-AA and AK), you could throw in AQ in position if he's not going to pay off your sets.
Aisthesis

Return to No Limit Hold'em Cash Games