[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
I don't wanna be a slow starter... - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

I don't wanna be a slow starter...

All topics related to the mini tournaments

Moderators: Cactus Jack, LPF Police Department

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:30 am

I don't need to study ICM.

ICM can't be done while you're playing, it's a tool for after the game is done.,, then ranging your opponent's calling and pushing hands for when you're with them in another game.

If you run a model while you're playing it undervalues the short stack's motivation to push on the bubble.

ICM is for bubble play. This post mentions nothing about the bubble.

I am hoping and wishing that I run into players that will wait and wait for that magical AK to push with when the blinds are high, because I am going to steal them blind while they wait, pushing with any two.

I pray for Harrington Worshippers in a "fast" tournament. Playing way too tight for the structure of the tournament, mainly the length of the blinds.

I am hoping that all the ICM addicts will wait until the end when they have no fold equity and I have 5-10 times their chip stacks and I can call them with any two cards, knowing that even if I double them up, they're going to be pushing again just to stay alive and I've still got a big stack.

ICM has it's merits, but it's designed for less skilled players who are up against good players who will fold; these good players also have the sense to play aggressively BEFORE the need to push your stack in over and over again on races just trying to make the money.
theFormula

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:28 am

I will go on EscapePlan... the OP wants to have enough chips to cruise thru the bubble and you only offer ICM at the bubble.

Quit focusing on cards, they shouldn't matter.

In ST SNGs, the overall theory is to make the money. Correct? Play tight until it get's down to 4-5 and then start an aggressive strategy. Who's getting all the chips if tight players are folding? They are going to someone, right? My bet is on the player playing opposite of what everyone else is doing. I do advocate Fischman's squeaky tight theory in Online Ace for new players. Seasoned SNGr's follow the table dynamics.

Most of these table have 6 minute blinds and you have 1500 chips starting at 15/30, I would venture to guess. 50BBs to start with. This is not the time to play tight, it's the time to play POSITION. You have chips to call standard raises from LP and actually play poker. You don't get big cards often enough in 6 minute blind levels to accumulate chips. You have to put your chips in play, and there is no better way... than to appear tight.

Without giving my game away, try this for 10 games. Online, cover your hole cards on your screen and play. What do you think the focus of your game will be? What is your natural response when it folds to you on the button? Raise with any two? It should be. Try that for one game only.

Then in the next game, call any standard raise from the button and raise with any two if it folds to you. Are you winning pots? I bet you are and your cards don't matter do they?

Next game move to the cutoff. If it folds to you, raise to buy the button. Now you have two positions to play from. If you're successfull at playing well from these two positions, you're going to raise from Raising Position, the 3rd LP seat IF IT FOLDS TO YOU. If you're called by the button, of course you must keep the pots small and pay attention to the texture of the board. Play some poker.

Your standard raises are 3xBB. No more, no less. You are doing everything to avoid a showdown. You must c-bet to keep control of the hand, if you meet resistance, then you must shut down. You don't want to show these blatant bluffs at a showdown. You are not trying to win these games, you're trying to win pots with no cards.

Yes, you're folding every hand until Raising Position, Cut-off and the Button. Now that's squeaky-tight play. Remember, to raise from these three seats, if must fold to you. You can call a standard raise from the button, only. Post-flop it's situational, so your reads matter.

Once you get the feel of doing this blind, it will become part of your game when you can actually SEE YOUR CARDS. You need to accumulate chips with your good cards and no cards. These plays will be +EV. I cashed in 6 of the 10 games when I did this... and I was folding a lot near the bubble, but I had enough chips to weather the bubble. Feel free to look at your cards after you've made the money and try to win it.

Note: This type of play is not optimal for MTTs with long blind structures and deep stacks, but works great for any (ST or MTTs) 10 min/1500 structure games.
Last edited by theFormula on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFormula

Postby Underground » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 am

I had a long reply started then I thought,"What's the point?" Formula, that's some of the funniest, worst advice I've ever seen on a poker forum. Thank you for starting my day off with a laugh.
Underground

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am

theFormula

Postby Underground » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:15 am

Underground

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am

Underground... what book have you written that dispels Fischman or Snyder's strategies? Please offer something to the forum other than empty, substance lacking flames. Maybe your screen name so we can see how well you rank in OPR or Sharkscope?

Sitting back and arm-chair quarterbacking your opinions does nothing.
theFormula

Postby Underground » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:34 am

OK, I'll bite. I usually don't give out my screennames on public forums but I will give it to you if:

1) You agree to update your journal on a regular basis
2) You agree not to reveal it on these boards.
3) You first. Let's have your's so we can verify those '7 wins' in the first 7 weeks of 2008..
Underground

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 am

...and while I am at, the OP and I may not be as good as you, or as good as you seem to claim. It's so easy just to find posts that don't fit your game and trash them. It really doesn't matter to me, because in studying my game, this new strategy, albeit not optimum for all play, has its place... in my level of buyin and skill level. I am just still learning the game, I am not as fortunate to be on the top level of the game as you claim to be.. you just make this forum no better than UPF or 2+2 with your pompous, mis-directed attitude and self-appointed superior poker mindset.
theFormula

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:52 am

theFormula

Postby theFormula » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:56 pm

and tell me underground, what advice do you offer the OP?

I think learning to steal is not the worst advice and I want to know why you think it is? The only way to learn how to steal is to practice in small stakes buyins, play position and attack weakness.

What is wrong with that? Offer something.. anything.
theFormula

Postby Underground » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Underground

Postby emmasdad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm

emmasdad

Previous

Return to Sit and Go's (SnGs)