[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Home game set vs flush draw - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Home game set vs flush draw

All topics related to the mini tournaments

Moderators: Cactus Jack, LPF Police Department

Home game set vs flush draw

Postby Kablooie!! » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:53 am

Hey guys,

This situation came up this past weekend in our home game and I would like to hear your thoughts about it.

It's a tournament, 9 players total, relatively early (50/100 blind level) and I raised 3xBB (standard raise) with 7c 7d in late position. My friend who is a solid player called. Everyone else folded.

My stack: about 3,000. Him: about 5,500.

The flop is all spades, all low cards. 7s 2s 5s.

I've flopped a set, great. But I'm worried about him being on a flush draw. I'm not sure why, but I was sure he had two big cards, one of which was a spade. We've been playing together for a long time and I felt pretty sure about this read.

I bet the pot and he raised all in after about two seconds.

I was now sure that he had one spade and was pushing with a draw. The question was, could I fold my set?

Thinking about it, I figured I was about 2/3 to win, given that he could hit his flush but I could hit the boat, or even that my set would hold up.

So I called. Yep, he had a King of spades and an offsuit Jack.

Of course, another spade hits on the turn, and another on the river (it was almost a split pot due to a straight flush on the board). And I'm out of the tourney.

Now, my question is: given the chip stacks and fact that it was relatively early in the tourney, should I have more seriously considered folding there to avoid being outdrawn? Had I folded there, I would still have had enough chips to have a fighting chance in the tourney. About 6 of the 9 players are pretty good, so it's a tough table.

So, what do you guys think? Would folding a set in that position be too wimpy? ;-)

Thanks,
Kablooie!!
Kablooie!!

Postby Kablooie!! » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 am

Argh, sorry for the double post. Got a "server connection timed out" error when I posted so I assumed it didn't work.
Kablooie!!

Postby MBuckler » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 am

i think folding there would be criminal...
MBuckler

Postby low dough » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Steven Wright

low dough
BTP Tourny #5 Winner

Postby Kablooie!! » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:46 am

Kablooie!!

Postby rickjr82 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm

if you are afraid of getting knocked out you are going to get run over. I would recommend playing some lower money sngs so you can see the value of making the right calls(i.e. when you will make more money on average by raising, calling or folding). Looking into the concept of EV or Expected Value could be very valuable to you.
I got my hair highlighted, because I felt some strands were more important that others.
-Mitch Hedberg
rickjr82

Postby Sunbob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:08 am

Sunbob
A poker tournament is a test of your skill versus your opponents luck.
Sunbob
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby chuckwhoolery » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:15 am

yeah folding here would warrent castration esp if you read they guy for a crappy draw
chuckwhoolery

Return to Sit and Go's (SnGs)