[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
How to beat Online Limit Holdem - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

How to beat Online Limit Holdem

Post your tough limit holdem hands here

Moderators: piersmajestyk, LPF Police Department

Postby piersmajestyk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:28 pm

This guideline will work fairly well for the higher limits as well if you take more time to select good tables (a fish or two present which does occur plenty often enough even at higher limits). For the lower limits I just get on the lists for the top four average tables and go from there.

At the higher limits I firmly believe that excellent table selection may be the MOST important factor there is for winning play. As tight as my starting hand selection is you probably shouldn't stray too far from it at the higher limits but you should definately take more time in deciding which tables to play. If you don't have PT with Game Tracker then you are doing yourself a huge disservice in helping yourself out at all limits in selecting tables and monitoring opponents play.
piersmajestyk
Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby SideSwipe » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:46 am

Wow, this was an important read for me. Thanks piersmajestyk & CJ for your great advice.

CJ's post was the most profound to me. I came from NL first, then to Limit, so I was playing Limit incorrectly. I would play hands like NL and would bet/raise aggressively, to make the drawing hands pay. But then in Limit, these raises would seldom chase away players, as I could never bet high enough to deny them the odds to stay in. So what happened often is that these players would hit their flush/draw/2 or 3 outers by the river and I had wasted my money trying to push them off.

So going by CJ's post, I shall follow his excellent advice and aim NOT TO LOSE MONEY! :)

I will still bet/raise when I hit the nuts. But with good, yet vulnerable hands, I will be careful not to lose too much money on them.

Cheers guys,

SS
"Every man is a but spark in the darkness"
SideSwipe
Enthusiast (B&M & Online)

Postby I_am_Prosperous » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:35 am

I_am_Prosperous

Postby piersmajestyk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:46 pm

I will give you what I use for autorating. Some folks might want to add or detract from mine as they see fit.

1 Tight Agressive
Saw flop not a blind % between 10 and 18
Preflop Raise % between 6.5 and 12
Aggression Flop greater than 1.9
Aggr. Turn greater than 1.9

2. Rock
Voluntarily put money in pot less than 13%

3. Smily Face, my favorites
Saw flop not a blind greater than 45%
Preflop raise greater than 10%
Went to Showdown greater than 50%

4. Fish
Saw flop greater than 40%, probably could drop this down to 32 or 33%

5. Money Bag
Aggresion Factor total greater than 1.75
BB per 100 hands greater than 2.00
Preflop raise % greater than equal 6.5
VIP% between 11 and 22
Won $ at Showdown 50%

6. Calling station
Agression factor flop less than 1.3
Aggr. Fact. River less than 1.2
Aggr. Fact. turn less than 1.2

Again these are just some basic things I through together pretty fast based on what I thought was important. I am sure others here can give you some more ideas. Good luck.
piersmajestyk
Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Big_Leon » Wed May 25, 2005 11:54 am

Thanks for this advice. It may be very straight-forward and even a little boring for some, but it is a winning strategy at low limit. I only wish I would have read this when I first started playing LLH online! :wink:
Big_Leon

Postby pokgai » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:42 pm

pokgai

Postby Tiburon » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:51 pm

"...Every time you cold call, god kills a puppy."
--JJSCOTT2

Read my blog at
Tiburon
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby piersmajestyk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:22 pm

Hello Pokgai,

In early position (under the gun and UTG+1) I would recommend that you fold your small pocket pairs up to 88 and raise all your other ones. Personally I raise 77 and 88 first in as well but I believe that folding these hands for most folks is probably the best option.

As Tiburon said alot depends on who the raiser is if you hold these smaller pocket pairs in late position. Most of the time I just fold them and get on with the next hand. The few times that I do play them I will usually three bet them in an attempt to get it heads up by driving the blinds out. With a 3 bet and position you can usually take control of things from there unless the preflop raiser really hits well or has his overpair still active on the flop. Again for most folks I think folding even in late position against only one player is probably the best choice with your small pocket pairs a huge % of the time. Good luck.
piersmajestyk
Pro (B&M & Online)

suited connectors

Postby gnarus » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:25 pm

Do you fold suited connectors from all positions? what about on the button on an unraised pot?

Kev
gnarus

Postby briachek » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:06 pm

usually i fold them unless i am in late postion with many (3 or more) limpers. I am looking for a draw, 2 pair or trips (lower the better) and not top pair and such. Flopping just top pair with a mid suited connector in a multiway pot gets you in a lot of trouble.
Brian [Js][9s]
Anyone who gets in a fair fight, has no tactical skills.
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Post-flop betting strategies?

Postby CFlannagan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:23 pm

Last edited by CFlannagan on Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFlannagan

im not sold on this

Postby gnarus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:29 pm

What VIP % do u usually get when playing this way? I just went 40 hands w/o a playable hand. Is boring too
gnarus

Postby piersmajestyk » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Probably around 11%, perhaps just a little less. I very a little from this and while playing 4 or5 tables I seem to always be in action at one of them. Boring I can take, losing I can't :lol:
piersmajestyk
Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby zim » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 am

zim

Postby The A Train » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:34 am

It's unlucky to be superstitious
The A Train
Enthusiast (Online)

PreviousNext

Return to Limit Hold'em Cash Games