[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
NBA playoffs thread - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

NBA playoffs thread

Everything from "Whats the best place to get a sandwich at Bellagio?" to "Damn, Shana Hiatt is FINE!".

Moderators: TightWad, LPF Police Department

Postby equus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:55 am

"I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now."
Caveman
equus

Postby equus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Caveman
equus

Postby Bosox1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 pm

"No, 'The stripper's bouncer beat the shit out of me' is not an acceptable answer"
Bosox1

Postby low dough » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 am

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Steven Wright

low dough
BTP Tourny #5 Winner

Postby equus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 am

Caveman
equus

Postby Marm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 am

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack." -Adam Morrow

I swear to God, next time I have to come back here, I'm bringing a stun gun and a weedwacker!
Marm

Postby iceman5 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:30 am

iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby k3nt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 am

k3nt
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby iceman5 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Postby Danhdan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 pm

"Million dollar play, ten cent finish."

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

"Laugh and the world stares at you; cry, and the world stares at you."
Danhdan

Postby Bosox1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:42 pm

I wouldn't say top 10 ever but he did a very good job over the past few years stockpiling young talent and expiring contracts. Because of that he was able to put a nice package together for Ray Allen and then got Kevin McHale to overvalue Al Jefferson and give the Celtics a great deal for KG. After that, veterans were lining up to play with Allen, Pierce and Garnett so it wasn't hard to pick up Posey and House for one year deals (same with Cassell and PJ Brown at midseason).

Like Dan said, the Celtics didn't buy a champioship, they drafted and traded for like 8 solid young players and then traded them and some draft picks for Allen and Garnett. Rondo, Perkins and Powe were all already on the team. This isn't that hard to do. All it takes is being bad for a few years so you gt top draft picks and then being able to properly evaluate the talent. Ainge has done very well at that. Most of the guys he's picked up were part of the trades in the offseason or still on the Celtics. The only reason teams stay bad is they can't draft good players and/or won't pay them after their contracts are up.
"No, 'The stripper's bouncer beat the shit out of me' is not an acceptable answer"
Bosox1

Postby k3nt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:37 pm

k3nt
Enthusiast (Online)

Postby iceman5 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 pm

If its not so hard to do , how come its the biggest turn around in NBA history? Seems like if it wasnt so hard to do, the bad teams would be doing it quite often.

The NBA is all about superstars. Role players dont win championships. The Celtics got ahold of 3 superstars and thats why they won it all.

Dont get me wrong, Im not taking anything away from them. I had no idea those guys could / would play defense like that. Im just saying it was a once in a lifetime event of signing the right players at the right time and getting them to gel together. I guess my point was that this isnt a dynasty type team like you get when you draft young players, develope them and then watch them devour the league as they get better together.

Garnett is better than I thought he could be at this point in his career but hes still past his prime and will get worse from here.

Allen is a hired gun who is also past his prime

Pierce is a great great player but we've already seen what happens if he doesnt have talent all around him. That talent is going to fade quickly.

Boston got the right players (bought...traded for..whatever you want to call it) at the right time, but it was a quick fix that I dont see lasting very long.
iceman5 [As]
iceman5
Semi Pro (Online)

Previous

Return to LPF Community